Panning For Gold!

Old June 5th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Colin Steadman

Default Panning For Gold!

Anyone know of any good camp sites where we could go and do a bit of
panning for gold. We usually do a lot of walking and BBQ'ing, but I'd
like to have a crack at panning for a bit of gold for a bit of fun.
If anyone knows of anywhere suitable, and has some information on
necessary equipment, please share!

Please also post any web links you may have.

TIA,

Colin
Old June 5th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On 5 Jun 2004 10:21:51 -0700, (Colin
Steadman) wrote:

Anyone know of any good camp sites where we could go and do a bit of
panning for gold. We usually do a lot of walking and BBQ'ing, but I'd
like to have a crack at panning for a bit of gold for a bit of fun.
If anyone knows of anywhere suitable, and has some information on
necessary equipment, please share!

Please also post any web links you may have.

I went panning for gold in the Leadhills area of Scotland last summer,
as a group we got a fair bit though I only found a few grains. We were
on the Glengonnar water.

See the photographs at the bottom of my website at
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk

Top tips:

1) be prepared for hours of freezing, backbreaking work because the
gold is at the bottom of all the sediment, next to the bedrock - even
in the cracks of the bedrock! - and digging in the middle of a river
is B**** hard work

2) be prepared to sift through literally tonnes of sediment etc. for
maybe a grain or two as there is very little left

3) get tuition from somebody with lots of experience and knows what
they are doing, as finding the right area with gold grains is an
acquired skill.

Don't let me put you off though - it is great fun!

Other possible places to look for gold include Cornwall and parts of
Wales, but I haven't been panning there.

Doug
--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old June 5th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

Thinking about it, I produced a report - "How to Prospect for Gold in
the Leadhills Area" - which goes through all the techniques, equipment
etc. as well as giving an overview of how the gold got there in the
first place.

I've shoved it online at http://www.kingqueen.org.uk/gold.pdf - it's
around 250Kb

Cheers