3 Dogs Yes, 3 Guys - No way!!!

Old June 5th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MaxSand

Default 3 Dogs Yes, 3 Guys - No way!!!

Hello,

Just have to vent my annoyance somewhere and I would also like opinion on
this...

A group of friends and I (4 of us) decided to do some fishing this weekend -
we usually do this every couple of weeks during the summer. To make a
weekend of it we would usually like to go camping. We did this a few times
last year and it was great, we are from close to Glasgow so we typically go
to one of the Argyll campsites like Artgarden or perhaps one on Loch Lomond.

Today I was fishing with my dad and on the way back I received a call from
one of my mates saying that we should go camping tonight for an early start
fishing tomorrow, sounds good I thought... so I jumped in to the campsite
office, waited about 10 mins for the campsite manager to get off the phone
to a customer, I then asked if we could have a single pitch for the night,
she said yes no problem, how many people? I said we have 4 possibly 5 not
sure yet but its a 5 man tent so 1 pitch should be fine... So is that 2
adults and 3 kids, the manager asked, I said no its me and 3 of 4 of my
friends (we are all about 23), she immediately looked down and said no we
don't do large groups, I thought this was a bit strange as last year we had
two tents with 8 of us and it wasn't a problem in the same campsite. I told
her it was ok last year but she said that she has taken over the campsite
and doesn't allow big groups of the same sex. I was so ****ed off but I just
bit my tongue and walked out in disgust without saying a word.

I looked at the leaflet I picked up in the office, it was a Forestry
commission campsite that made no mention of how many single sex campers are
allowed in a group. One thing it did mention was you are allowed three dogs
in, so basically a group of guys is treated worse that a group of 3 dogs.
This is totally prejudice against young guys in groups, and it is totally
unfair, the forestry commission is meant to run the forests on our (the
publics) behalf and im quite sure it gets enough money from the publics
taxes - including from me and my mates.

I can quite understand that young males might have a bit of a reputation,
perhaps they think we will be up all night making noise but its
discrimination all the same and in the current climate in which the
government is trying to get young people off the streets and out in to the
country to life a more active and crime free life it seems farcical that 4
23 year old males be denied access to three campsites (yes I did try Luss
and Balloch later on). We are always quiet as we understand families are out
with young kids and trying to enjoy a weekend, and there has be numerous
occasions where we have been woken up by the previously mentioned young
kids, but we just got on with it.

Anyway im a bit annoyed about this but I think I will just go out, get drunk
and make some trouble in the city centre..

Max

Old June 6th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:06:10 +0100, "MaxSand"
wrote:

I can quite understand that young males might have a bit of a reputation,
perhaps they think we will be up all night making noise but its
discrimination all the same and in the current climate in which the
government is trying to get young people off the streets and out in to the
country to life a more active and crime free life it seems farcical that 4
23 year old males be denied access to three campsites.

I agree this is unfair. I would write to my MP (seriously).

Anyway im a bit annoyed about this but I think I will just go out, get drunk
and make some trouble in the city centre..

LOL
--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old June 6th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Ken McCulloch

Fran wrote:

Anyway im a bit annoyed about this but I think I will just go out, get drunk
and make some trouble in the city centre..

I'm with you on this. Last year I had trouble one night because
a group arrived late and started partying - and they were mixed
sex. Quite why single sex groups are supposed to be any worse is
beyond me.

This is fairly new and I wonder if it's even legal? You can understand
campsite operators being wary of groups who essentially just want to
party all night, but if they treat (say) a group of 6 guys differently
from a group of 3 heterosexual couples they are surely discriminating in
the provision of a service on grounds of sex, which has been illegal for
some decades now.

They could deal with the party issue by making it clear it's not
permitted and calling the police if p&q is not respected?
--
Ken McCulloch
Edinburgh
Old June 6th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

Try riding a motorcycle as well if you want a bit of discrimination
!
I've learnt to ring up in advance if I really want to give the campsite my
money

Never had any such trouble abroad

Old June 7th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Justin C

In article 1geyiaj.1ekjcg9dy7rx6N%[email protected] onder.co.uk, Ken McCulloch wrote:

[snip]
This is fairly new and I wonder if it's even legal? You can understand
campsite operators being wary of groups who essentially just want to
party all night, but if they treat (say) a group of 6 guys differently
from a group of 3 heterosexual couples they are surely discriminating in
the provision of a service on grounds of sex, which has been illegal for
some decades now.

That's quite an interesting point. It would have been interesting to
know how the site manageress would have responded had you said it was
three adult couples (hetero).

I'd be tempted to just turn up, have the exact money, and, if you're
refused entry, leave the money on their counter (then they can't say you
haven't paid) and go in and set up anyway. Alternatively, book the
three couples (hetero) (if they'll take a group that size) and when 6
blokes turn up, if they mention it or refuse entry you threaten legal
action for sex discrimination as they'd accepted a booking for three
heterosexual couples so the size of the group was not an issue.

I do have to say, that when I'm sat outside my tent and a large group
(well, more than three) blokes turn up I expect things to get noisy, I'd
have thought I'd have learned by now - it never does. As Fran said, it's
the mixed groups that are the noisiest when you're trying to sleep.

WRT noisy children, the sound of happy laughing children just add to the
pleasant sound of summer for me... as long as they don't start screaming!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old June 7th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

Yes - you're absolutely right of course, and no doubt speaking from
considerable experience.
Or then again perhaps not.

"marc" marccdimspamremovedimspamto wrote in
message .. .
In article ,
says...
One thing it did mention was you are allowed three dogs
in, so basically a group of guys is treated worse that a group of 3

dogs.
This is totally prejudice against young guys in groups,

No, prejudice is a decisions withoutt basis, here the manager is relying
on experience.