Our Week In Normandie

Old June 12th 04, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony B

Default Our Week In Normandie

Following on from my earlier "Things to do in France when you're 5 (And 2)
here's how we got on:

Firstly, from Manchester to Portsmouth for a 11.15am boat is a bit of a
stretch; lack of floating days precluded our travelling the day before and
staying locally so it was a 5.00am start for us.. the new M6 Toll was worth
it at 1 (off peak) as it gets one round Brum with ease.

On arrival the staging area was full of WWII military vehicles, c/w
period-dressed enthusiasts. One bloke even had a tank transporter... quite
what the REAL vets made of these young Brit lads hanging about looking like
they did 60 years previously is beyond imagining...

The kids were great in the car, all week in fact probably due to the air
conditioning, I wouldn't have like to have them cooped up in a broiling car,
that would have been hell.

Anyway, we found our way to the Eurocamp site at Les Eaux (St Pair, although
it's a good few kms from the actual village) and got registered in OK. First
night was a bit chilly, glad we took the fleece coats!

In the morning though it was clear skies and sunshine, we had the 10000000
mile long (best guess) beach at Joulleville to ourselves, the kids loved it.
This was how things stayed for the week, sunny and kids loving it.

The site at Les Eaux is the best kiddy site I have stayed at; there's a
great park, playgroups, loads of other kids for ours to play with, a perfect
indoor funpool thing, decent site shop (with an even better Intermarche up
the road), a takeaway restaurant on site, the lot. The only slight drawback
was the less than perfect ablutions blocks, that had a certain air about
them... hot water though and to be fair the staff were always in there
cleaning. The other slight disappointment was the lack of kids of other
nationalities on site, it seemed exclusively English, and southern at that!
Georgia developed a reasonable Home Counties accent by the end of the
week...

On Friday we went to Caen and the Festyland kids themepark - designed for
3-8 year olds as I understand it and it was a really good day out.
Recommended.

We also visited a cidre farm, the lady there was delightful, the kids spent
ages running round the yard with their dog while we had a look at the
various booze on sale, charming. Not really much cheaper than buying at the
Intermarche but certainly a great experience.

We did find a horse place with hire available, but the buggers weren't in...
the horses all looked a bit sad anyway so maybe we were lucky to miss out.

On our last night en France we stayed in a hotel in Coutances, which has
been sort of traditional for me on earlier trips to Normandy. With hindsight
I would rather spend another night on EuroCamp cos it's better for the kids.

All in all then we had a fabulous time, we are already picking sites/dates
from the 2005 brochure (planning on 2 nights in Les Eaux before heading down
to Loire sites next year!) and I really cannot find a single thing to bitch
about. For a kid holiday, that is... mum and dad now need a grown-ups
holiday I fear.

Also, does anyone know how to get kids back into a 8pm bedtime routine after
a week of playing in the park until godknowswhen??

Roll on the next one (Hawkshead in two weeks!)

bfn,

Tony B