Using Camping Gaz stove with normal butane?

Old June 13th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Lobster

Default Using Camping Gaz stove with normal butane?

We're new to camping so hope this is not a Stupid Question...

We've just bought a new Camping Gaz 'Camping Chef' stove - felt we had
to go with CG as we'll probably be camping in Europe and gather this
is the only practical way to proceed to ensure availability of
replacement cylinders. But I gather the CG gas itself is very
expensive, right? (haven't bought a cylinder yet).

Th stove is provided with a Camping Gaz-branded regulator marked
'butane, 28 mbar' which is exactly the same wording as the regulator
on our barbecue, which is fed from a large 7kg locally-branded butane
cylinder. Does that mean I can swap the regulators (or buy a second
one for the stove) and use the ordinary butane cylinder on the stove?
(I've read stuff about CG being a butane/propane mix, but that isn't
borne out by the wording on the regulator?)

Basically I'm trying to work out the most economical/practical way of
buying my gas! How much more expensive does it work out using CG? Is
it worthwhile (do-able?)buying a CG regulator for the barbie and just
using CG throughout? Or is it more cost-effective to use regular
butane on the stove (which would mean swapping my existing 7kg
cylinder to a more portable one) and make damned sure I always take a
full cylinder when going abroad? I'd rather avoid having to store
multiple gas cylinders in the garage (let's mot talk about SWMBO's
dreadful patio heater, which runs on propane!)

Old June 13th 04, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On 13 Jun 2004 06:51:26 -0700,
(Lobster) wrote:

We're new to camping so hope this is not a Stupid Question...

Th stove is provided with a Camping Gaz-branded regulator marked
'butane, 28 mbar' which is exactly the same wording as the regulator
on our barbecue, which is fed from a large 7kg locally-branded butane
cylinder. Does that mean I can swap the regulators (or buy a second
one for the stove) and use the ordinary butane cylinder on the stove?

Yes, it does.

Basically I'm trying to work out the most economical/practical way of
buying my gas! How much more expensive does it work out using CG?

CG is a lot more expensive than Calor or FloGas or whatever (caveat:
Calor's cylinder deposit is sufficiently extortionate that this might
not be true for your first cylinder).

Is
it worthwhile (do-able?)buying a CG regulator for the barbie and just
using CG throughout? Or is it more cost-effective to use regular
butane on the stove (which would mean swapping my existing 7kg
cylinder to a more portable one) and make damned sure I always take a
full cylinder when going abroad?

It's generally cheaper to use almost anything but CG. It's probably
chgeaper to get yak dung air-freighted in from Mongolia to use as fuel
than it is to use CG.

As with all these things, whether it's do-able comes down to "it
depends". In this case it depends on how much gas you expect to use.
In my experience a CG 407 cylinder will last a family of 4 for at
least a week's cooking (eating out on alternate evenings), so if you
were to take a 7kg Calor bottle it should be good for a fortnight
plus. Having said that, if you do run out of gas away from home,
you'll find it a fair bit easier to exchange a CG bottle than anything
else.

I'd rather avoid having to store
multiple gas cylinders in the garage (let's mot talk about SWMBO's
dreadful patio heater, which runs on propane!)

Oh, go on. You know you want to. Although, with suppliers who don't
charge a deposit, you don't need to store multiple cylinders - just
get one the size you want before you go away, then turn it in to them
without taking an exchange when you come back.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old June 15th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Martin Benson

I know what you mean about the deposit for the calor bottle - I managed to
get round that by going to the local dump. It's a supervised / managed dump,
I got a 'scrap' 7kg bottle for well under a tenner and then just swapped it
over for a full one at a refill place for around 12.50
Martin

Old June 16th 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl [email protected], sgrifennodd
Martin Benson :
I know what you mean about the deposit for the calor bottle - I managed to
get round that by going to the local dump. It's a supervised / managed dump,
I got a 'scrap' 7kg bottle for well under a tenner and then just swapped it
over for a full one at a refill place for around 12.50
Martin

What? I just paid that much for a 3 kg refill. And I got a rusty old
cylinder which looks like it had been in the stock room for 10 years in
return as well.

I also noticed, last time I used this shop, that the gas didn't seem to
last so long. Unfortunately here in Aberystwyth there isn't a lot of
choice where to go, and I can't wait until I'm camping because they don't
sell Camping Gaz in Scandinavia.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old June 16th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Doh replying to my own post!

Oh yes, mine is Camping Gaz, yours was Calor Gas. I suppose it just
shows the difference in cost mentioned earlier.

Adrian

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd