Power Lead

Old June 14th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark

Default Power Lead

Hello People

I recently bought one of those small coolers to keep butter, milk, etc. cool
when out & about. It works on mains or 12v so I thought maybe it was time to
get a power lead to use whilst under canvas. After asking for some lead & a
plug in my local camping & caravanning shop the guy said that I couldn't
just hook up to the mains on site as I'd have to have a trip/breaker switch
installed in the line. He showed me such a switch at a cost of 65!!!

Please advise, is this the case or was the lad trying to have me over? There
must surely be such a trip switch in the circuit provided on site though if
a trip switch is required by myself could I use one that I already have that
plugs into domestic sockets when using lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, etc.?

Mark.

---

Old June 14th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David klyne

--
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Although it seems a lot 65 is pretty cheap to save a life! I am sure you
are right that there are trip switches in most site bollards but how do you
know in advance. Also if you have electrics for the fridge you will be
tempted to use it for other things - you know how the ladies like their
hairdryers!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old June 14th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark

David

Thanks for the reply. I take your point entirely, but would the breaker I
already own for domestic use do the same job & is the breaker advised
mandatory on camp sites as was inferred by the guy at the camp shop?

Mark

"David klyne" wrote in message

Mark

Although it seems a lot 65 is pretty cheap to save a life! I am sure you
are right that there are trip switches in most site bollards but how do

you
know in advance. Also if you have electrics for the fridge you will be
tempted to use it for other things - you know how the ladies like their
hairdryers!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

---

Old June 14th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:52:26 +0100, "Mark"
wrote in message
:

my local camping & caravanning shop the guy said that I couldn't
just hook up to the mains on site as I'd have to have a trip/breaker switch
installed in the line. He showed me such a switch at a cost of 65!!!

You could make one for a lot less!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 14th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

"David kline" wrote in message

Mark

Although it seems a lot 65 is pretty cheap to save a life! I am sure
you are right that there are trip switches in most site bollards but how
do

you
know in advance. Also if you have electrics for the fridge you will be
tempted to use it for other things - you know how the ladies like their
hairdryers!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

---

Yes it would as long as it has a 30mA trip rating and all the electricity
you use always goes through it with no exception.

When I go to France each year I have a 50m cable with a blue 16A caravan
type plug and a French plug to 16A socket adaptor as not all French
campsites are on the standard plug.This has a single heavy duty rubber UK
type socket on the end into which I plug a 6 way adaptor .I always secure
the sockets such that they cant get wet

I take a plug in socket tester with me to check the site has an earth and
if all is well I don't bother with an RCD .Please note I am an ex
professional electrician and the domestic type RCD wont work if the site
has no earth . I never touch any current carrying devices unless I am
standing on dry plastic ground sheet.

Also I have made sur all my mains lights are double insulated and are
flouresent lights so they don't get hot and are cable tied to the frame
such that in theory cant fall and get wet

The fridge is the only thing left plugged in all the time and that is always
standing on a plastic storage box so it never touches the ground ,this is
what I secure my incoming socket to .

As there is only me and my girlfriend the above is safe enough particularly
in France which is dry most of the time ,but it worked perfectly well one
rainy weekend in the lakes just apply a bit of common sense .

Old June 14th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Vernon

wrote in message
:

my local camping & caravanning shop the guy said that I couldn't
just hook up to the mains on site as I'd have to have a trip/breaker

switch
installed in the line. He showed me such a switch at a cost of 65!!!

You could make one for a lot less!

Hmm the parts seem fairly pricey to make it yourself, I looked at screwfix
and TLC and both seem to charge an arm and a leg for the socket and RCD

Old June 14th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:09:03 +0100, "Vernon"
wrote:

.. .
wrote in message
:

my local camping & caravanning shop the guy said that I couldn't
just hook up to the mains on site as I'd have to have a trip/breaker

switch
installed in the line. He showed me such a switch at a cost of 65!!!

You could make one for a lot less!

Hmm the parts seem fairly pricey to make it yourself, I looked at screwfix
and TLC and both seem to charge an arm and a leg for the socket and RCD

My local B&Q are selling 30 metre orange 10-amp (3 amp when wound)
extension reels with an RCD plug already fitted for IIRC less than
thirty quid ...

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old June 15th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines[_2_]

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

As mentioned it may seem a lot, but personally I wouldn't mess around with
electricity unless you know what you are doing.

Best to get the proper cable then you know that you and other campers are
safe, you don't want to make up your own lead and then find out you have a
problem by another camper touching your lead when they plug there's into the
campsite hook-up.

I use the made up cable, and then use a circuit tester (around 6.00) to
check there is an earth and that the live and neutral are the correct way
round.

The made up cable will last you years if you look after it, and provides
peace of mind, buy it.

Andy.

Old June 23rd 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
DaveB[_2_]

I mentioned this to an engineer at work and he told me that there is no need
for a ciruit breaker as these are fitted to uk sites.

He told me that for him to make a electric hook up lead for me would cost
3 for the 16a male jack and about the same for the double box for inside
the tent - the cable would be free gratis (but dont tell his boss). But i
did check at the local electrical store where the cable is 50p per meter.

Me thinks camping shops are charging way over the odds..

Someone mentioned above.."a small price to save a life" .......this sounds
like someone scare-mongering who isn't a qualified electrician.
If you mentioned electric hooks up in a camping shop they are obviously
going to try and sell you one of theirs......as my dear departed mother used
to say....
"youv'e never heard a fishmonger shouting "bad fish"" ......think about it!

&

Old June 23rd 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:50:31 +0100, "DaveB"
wrote:

I mentioned this to an engineer at work and he told me that there is no need
for a ciruit breaker as these are fitted to uk sites.

Someone mentioned above.."a small price to save a life" .......this sounds
like someone scare-mongering who isn't a qualified electrician.

I try to think about it like this. Who do you trust to have a RCD that
works - the campsite, or yourself? The campsite may (or may not) be
legally obliged to have one, but if they don't it's small comfort to
know your next-of-kin can sue them.