Newbie advice

Old June 15th 04, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jamie

Default Newbie advice

All,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the camping world, just bough my first tent the
other week and am planning on going to France for a week in July. Could
anyone advise of a good web site that you can use to book camping pitches at
Camp sites in France? Also a web site that has camp site reviews would also
be good.

Thanks in advance for you help,
Jamie

Old June 15th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Mc

Hi Jamie,

I'm camping in France for 3 weeks this summer, and found that many campsites
run their booking systems on www.campsing2003.com . This system allows you
to check availability online. Just click on the bit of the map you're after
and away you go. Good luck.

Simon Mc.

. ..

Old June 15th 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:59:04 +0100, "Jamie" wrote:

All,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the camping world, just bough my first tent the
other week and am planning on going to France for a week in July. Could
anyone advise of a good web site that you can use to book camping pitches at
Camp sites in France? Also a web site that has camp site reviews would also
be good.

Thanks in advance for you help,
Jamie

It all depends what you want. That camping2004 website looks good, then there's your
Eurocamp and Keycamp, who advertise in the Sunday papers. They're probably the best
way to go if you're nervous or have lots of very small kids etc.
We usually just go it alone as our needs are fairly simple. Last year we drove all
the way almost to Biarritz and pulled into a 3 star campsite & they managed to find
us a pitch. Lovely it was. Just behind the dunes so no roads to cross to get to the
beach.

Which route are you taking? We booked with http://www.speedferries.com/ this year &
got a very reasonable deal. Previously we've gone via St Malo. I can recommend one of
the municipal campsites in St Malo (Les ilots, it's called). In fact, if you're just
off for an exploratory jaunt you could just stay there. St Malo is lovely, the
campsite is clean & friendly and there's a cafe and supermarket within walking
distance.

Here it is:
http://www.ville-saint-malo.fr/campings/gb-ilots.html
or there are 3 others if you click the links at the bottom of the page.

cheers,

Liz
Old June 16th 04, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Que

We usually just go it alone as our needs are fairly simple. Last year we
drove all
the way almost to Biarritz and pulled into a 3 star campsite & they

managed to find
us a pitch. Lovely it was. Just behind the dunes so no roads to cross to

get to the
beach.

I'm camping just over the dunes on a beach next week. There is supposedly
no shade with temps in the mid 20's C. I'm thinking I'll rig a 5M x 3.6M
tarp (silver side up) over the tent 3.6M x 3M. Did you have to contend with
a lack of shade?

Thanks.

Old June 16th 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jamie

"Jamie" wrote in message
. ..
All,

I'm a bit of a newbie to the camping world, just bough my first tent the
other week and am planning on going to France for a week in July. Could
anyone advise of a good web site that you can use to book camping pitches

at
Camp sites in France? Also a web site that has camp site reviews would

also
be good.

Thanks in advance for you help,
Jamie

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your help. Certainly pointed us in
the right direction, we'll take a bit of time now to pick a campsite.

Jamie

Old June 17th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:53:59 -0400, "Que" wrote:

We usually just go it alone as our needs are fairly simple. Last year we

drove all
the way almost to Biarritz and pulled into a 3 star campsite & they

managed to find
us a pitch. Lovely it was. Just behind the dunes so no roads to cross to

get to the
beach.

I'm camping just over the dunes on a beach next week. There is supposedly
no shade with temps in the mid 20's C. I'm thinking I'll rig a 5M x 3.6M
tarp (silver side up) over the tent 3.6M x 3M. Did you have to contend with
a lack of shade?

Thanks.

No, they gave the pitches nearest the beach to surfers and young people generally.
Families etc got pitches further back in the pines. Your tarp idea sounds like a good
idea though!

Liz