Tent overhaul/servicing

Old June 20th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MSeries

Default Tent overhaul/servicing

I'm new to this group so please be gentle. I am the owner of a VauDe MKII
which is now about 14 years old and has been well used. It is showing its
age and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get it serviced.
The problems are that the taped seams are becoming untaped and the shock
cords have lost their elasticity. Waterproofing is less than it used to be
particularly on the groundsheet.

I am in West Yorkshire so a local repairer would be preferable but a contact
for anyone would be a start

Thanks

Old June 20th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Norman[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:05:59 +0100, "MSeries"
wrote:

I'm new to this group so please be gentle. I am the owner of a VauDe MKII
which is now about 14 years old and has been well used. It is showing its
age and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get it serviced.
The problems are that the taped seams are becoming untaped and the shock
cords have lost their elasticity. Waterproofing is less than it used to be
particularly on the groundsheet.

I am in West Yorkshire so a local repairer would be preferable but a contact
for anyone would be a start

Thanks

Blacks in Leeds at 10/12 Thorntons Arcade Tel 0113 2468454
used to repair tents, try phoning them.

Personally, if your tent is 14 yrs old I would buy a new one as most
aspects of your tent sound as if they have come to the end of their
proper functioning.

Norman

Old June 20th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MSeries

wrote:

I'm new to this group so please be gentle. I am the owner of a
VauDe MKII which is now about 14 years old and has been well used.
It is showing its age and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is
possible to get it serviced. The problems are that the taped seams
are becoming untaped and the shock cords have lost their elasticity.
Waterproofing is less than it used to be particularly on the
groundsheet.

I am in West Yorkshire so a local repairer would be preferable but a
contact for anyone would be a start

Thanks

Blacks in Leeds at 10/12 Thorntons Arcade Tel 0113 2468454
used to repair tents, try phoning them.

They've moved haven't they ? Is Thortons Arcade the one where the co-op &
C&A used to be

Personally, if your tent is 14 yrs old I would buy a new one as most
aspects of your tent sound as if they have come to the end of their
proper functioning.

Yes I probably should !

Old June 21st 04, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , MSeries
writes
wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

The elastic in the poles is easy enough to get done. You I guess the
seams might be able to be retaped, though maybe just using seam sealant
is a better option. but if the ground sheet (assuming PU proofed nylon)
is leaking then there is no effective way of reproofing that, it would
have to be replaced.

--
Chris French

Old June 21st 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Norman[_2_]

Thorntons arcade is accessed via top end of Albion Street, I think.
Have a look at:
http://www.wildday.co.uk/default.aspx
might help you decide.

Norman

Old June 21st 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
MSeries

chris French wrote:

Indeed.

The elastic in the poles is easy enough to get done. You I guess the
seams might be able to be retaped, though maybe just using seam
sealant is a better option. but if the ground sheet (assuming PU
proofed nylon) is leaking then there is no effective way of
reproofing that, it would have to be replaced.

The elastic in the poles is OK but the MKII has the poles on the outside and
the outer tent is suspended from it by means of shock cords. It is these
that are less elastic than they should be. It would be easy to replace if I
can get the stuff but the waterproofing is more of an issue. I have just
obtained a Pro Action 1 from Argos and Mrs Series has agreed to let me buy a
larger tent for when she wants to come camping with me. So now that I have a
light(ish)weight tent for cycling I can get a larger and heavier and cheaper
one for car camping.