will camping allowed in Knoydart

Old June 21st 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

Default will camping allowed in Knoydart

I sent the following email to Knoydart Foundation about wild camping
on there land:

am looking to travel to Knoydart in 2005 or 2006, and was wondering
if you have any problems with people camping where the want (as long
as they keep it tidy). And what is the view on camp-fires Are they
allowed at all, or only in certain areas. If only certain areas, where
are they, and how will I know I am in one?

This is the reply I got:

you are welcome to camp on Knoydart Foundation land but we ask that
you follow the MCoS code
note that with changes in land reform legislation you will be allowed
to camp on anyone's land as long as you are being responsible in doing
so ( that's a bit of a simplified explanation so I would suggest you
contact SNH for a fuller picture)

From there reply, it sounds like you can now legally camp anywhere in
Scotland, but does anyone know where I can find info on the MCoS code?
Old June 21st 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Andrew Gill
writes
I sent the following email to Knoydart Foundation about wild camping
on there land:

am looking to travel to Knoydart in 2005 or 2006, and was wondering
if you have any problems with people camping where the want (as long
as they keep it tidy). And what is the view on camp-fires Are they
allowed at all, or only in certain areas. If only certain areas, where
are they, and how will I know I am in one?

This is the reply I got:

you are welcome to camp on Knoydart Foundation land but we ask that
you follow the MCoS code
note that with changes in land reform legislation you will be allowed
to camp on anyone's land as long as you are being responsible in doing
so ( that's a bit of a simplified explanation so I would suggest you
contact SNH for a fuller picture)

From there reply, it sounds like you can now legally camp anywhere in
Scotland,

Well, not quite anywhere, but in a lot of places - certainly where you
are wanting to camp., AIUI. Until now wild camping has technically been
a criminal offence.

but does anyone know where I can find info on the MCoS code?

On their website?.......

Not sure exactly which code they mean:

There is some stuff here about wild camping for one:

http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/leaflets/wildcamp.html

This page has various links regarding the access legislation, including
the new Scottish Outdoor Access code:

http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/news/soac_prop.html

--
Chris French