Trailer or roof box ??

Old June 21st 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Craigy

Default Trailer or roof box ??

Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.
Old June 21st 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

In article , zaccy123
@yahoo.com says...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.

Also, I assume a trailer would mean more fuel?

I would go for roof box if you can fit it all in
--
For recipes, cooking tips and recommended butchers
http://www.sausagefans.com/
Old June 21st 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Stephen
writes
In article , zaccy123
says...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.

Also, I assume a trailer would mean more fuel?

I doubt its as much extra as a roof box. Typical quoted figures for a
roofbox are 15-20 % extra - this is down to extra air resistance, the
trailer will add little extra air resistance, and the loss do to
friction on the road is likely to be less.

I would go for roof box if you can fit it all in

I went for a roofbox recently because I didn't want the faff or extra
expense of getting a towbar at the moment, the box was probably cheaper
than what I'd have spent on a decent trailer, I didn't want to have to
store a trailer here either at the moment.

Isn't there a lower max. speed limit if towing a trailer (60 mph?) The
roof box had very little impact on the handling of the car, except in
cross winds, there was no extra noise from it.

But a trailer is easier to load, easier to fit, greater potential
capacity.

FWIW, I can recommend both the company (The Roofbox company) and the
roof box (Fapa Alto 460) I got he

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

not cheap, but much better quality than the cheaper ones from Halfords
et al.
--
Chris French

Old June 21st 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
RustY

"Craigy" wrote in message
om...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.

Get a trailer - the money you save on wine and beer on the way back will pay
for the ferry costs. Try putting a couple of cases of beer in a top box !
It is always better to book the ferry at Christmas time though - if you know
your holiday dates !
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Old June 21st 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

chris French wrote:

[...]

I have used both trailer and roof box .I now use a roof box ,less hassle
than a trailer and no need for the expense of a tow bar. If you abide by
the law you are limited to 60 MPH and are not allowed in the third lane of
a motorway when towing.

Capacity is the only downside of a roofbox ,they don't affect fuel
consumption as much as a trailer ,You don't have to pay extra for a camping
trailer on the French motorway's , but you do on the Dartford tunnel !!

As for quality ,the Halfords ones are good enough if you only use them
occasionally ,if you want to use one every weekend then something better
may be required .
--
Output Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1
Old June 22nd 04, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Uk_friendly_fire

"RustY " wrote in message
s.com...
"Craigy" wrote in message
om...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.

Get a trailer - the money you save on wine and beer on the way back will

pay
for the ferry costs. Try putting a couple of cases of beer in a top box !
It is always better to book the ferry at Christmas time though - if you

know
your holiday dates !
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

A trailer wins every time. I have both. Believe me it's a hassle fill and
empty roof boxes. Can interfere with some sunroofs and difficult to fit
bikes into.

Get the biggest trailer you can afford and you wont be sorry. Don't forget
to budget for a good anti theft device for it - my dad got his nicked from
under a security lamp outside his house. They can be hot property!

Saw a car with a roofbox traveling along M4 in opp. direction to me last
bank holiday. It was open and empty with the lid jammed up. Looked like they
must have lost their belongings along the motorway. If you get a box
frequently check its security - good luck

Old June 22nd 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Lobster

"Craigy" wrote in message
om...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Don't forget that on some carriers at least, there are height restrictions
to consider, so depending on the height of your car and topbox combination,
you'll also maybe pay more. Check the ferry companies' websites for more
info.

We're taking our Zafira (quite a tall car) over this summer - I can't
remember the ferry co offhand - but the height restriction was 1.85m, only
10-20cm higher than the car itself. Fitting a topbox would have increased
the fare (admittedly rockbottom!) by 80%, although a trailer would have been
more. Just something else to consider.

Old June 22nd 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message [email protected], Lobster
writes
"Craigy" wrote in message
. com...
Any ideas on this one peeps ??

I think a trailer would be better, but as I plan on camping in France
I am concerned aboutthe additional cost for the ferry with a trailer.

Don't forget that on some carriers at least, there are height restrictions
to consider, so depending on the height of your car and topbox combination,
you'll also maybe pay more. Check the ferry companies' websites for more
info.

We're taking our Zafira (quite a tall car) over this summer - I can't
remember the ferry co offhand - but the height restriction was 1.85m, only
10-20cm higher than the car itself. Fitting a topbox would have increased
the fare (admittedly rockbottom!) by 80%, although a trailer would have been
more. Just something else to consider.

There was thread on this fairly recently, the consensus was that there
is no problem in reality.
--
Chris French

Old June 22nd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Gio[_2_]

We had the same dilemma last year with our Zafira. We usually took
our 5'x3' trailer loaded up to the hilt with frame tent and kitchen
sink. The trailer had an extension on the cover to give it overall 4'
packing depth. Last year we bought a top box and a largish 3 bedroom
dome type tent from the savings a trailer ferry crossing was going to
cost us. Yes we found space tight and had to leave many items we
took for granted, coupled with fuel consumption reduced by some 3 mpg
compared to the trailer for a given 100 Km/hr touring speed. When
camping on spec with no prior bookings, having just a top box made the
process much simpler especially when going down narrow tracks to
eyeball campsites --no reversing probs. This year we are back to the
trailer.

Gio

Old June 23rd 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
chris French :
Don't forget that on some carriers at least, there are height restrictions
to consider, so depending on the height of your car and topbox combination,
you'll also maybe pay more. Check the ferry companies' websites for more
info.

[snip]
There was thread on this fairly recently, the consensus was that there
is no problem in reality.

Yes it was me who asked the original question then. I've gone for a
Thule Ocean 600 - about the lowest profile box around which is not too
long for the car. It just about squeezes within the 1.85m height
restriction, but if necessary I may have to let some air out of the
tyres. It adds around 32cm to the height of the car + roofbars.

Our car is a Fabia estate - relatively high compared to our old
Cavalier, so it's quite possible you'll get within the height restrictions
anyway, if you have a lower car. The Fapa (mentioned elsewhere) is
quite a high box, so would probably take you over.

But as others said at the time, you will probably get away with being
over the limit - I'd just rather not take too much of a chance.

Motaman sell the Thule Ocean 600. Go there, and try it on your car
first (take a tape measure). They were quite happy for me to do this.
The extra 15 quid or so you pay over mail order is worth it to make sure
it's right for car and height.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]