Tent Advice

Old June 23rd 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
nicolachilds

Default Tent Advice

Hi All,

Have just convinced the girlfriend (after several years trying) to go
camping.

She has decided to go again, but wants a bigger tent (8-9 man). Probably so
she has room for the fridge, TV, hair dryer, ironing board etc.

Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages between Dome, Frame
and Tunnel tents.

Most use will be mainly weekends, with upto a week in the summer.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Old June 23rd 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when nicolachilds said...

Hi All,

Have just convinced the girlfriend (after several years trying) to go
camping.

She has decided to go again, but wants a bigger tent (8-9 man).
Probably so she has room for the fridge, TV, hair dryer, ironing
board etc.

Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages between Dome,
Frame and Tunnel tents.

Most use will be mainly weekends, with upto a week in the summer.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer your question fully, only suggest an
opinion.

The Vango Colarado range are great tents. In 4, 8 or 12 person varieties, a
doddle to pitch, 3 season, lightweight, and very affordable. I've had the
4 person version for about 4 years now and had no trouble with it, even in
some real strong winds and nasty rain. The 'bedroom' is plenty large enough
(though i've never tried to get 4 in there!) and with its reverse
dome/tunnel design (the living area is the dome) you can fully stand up in
it and have room for your table and stuff. The larger versions add a
bedroom for each size up which would gives tons of space.

Mmmm. If you get one maybe you could tell Vango I sent you and see if I can
get some comission? ;-)

Duncan

Old June 25th 04, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Uk_friendly_fire

"Thunderchief" wrote in message
[...]

The trouble with such big tents is the pegging out required and the shear
weight of it. I've had a number of tents (Khyam,Raclet,Trigano), trailer
tent (Raclet), and caravan (Abi). I've finally settled on a Conway folding
camper as you dont have to peg out the sleeping area and it contains enough
room for 4 with mattresses, with cooker, sink,fridge, mains, 12v, and gas
power enabled. It includes bench seats and a table with storage too. Luxury.

Old June 25th 04, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
RustY

"Uk_friendly_fire" wrote in message
The trouble with such big tents is the pegging out required and the shear
weight of it. ......................

Not forgetting that you can be placing what amounts to a large unteathered
box kite in the middle of a field. If the wind picks up you can be in
serious trouble.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Old June 25th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when RustY said...

"Uk_friendly_fire" wrote in message
The trouble with such big tents is the pegging out required and the
shear weight of it. ......................

Not forgetting that you can be placing what amounts to a large
unteathered box kite in the middle of a field. If the wind picks up
you can be in serious trouble.

I've not had that trouble with the Colarado 400. I think the dome and tunnel
design helps with that. Not to mention all the guy points ;-)

Its amazing, mind, the number of folks who don't bother using their guy
lines and then wonder why they are chasing their tent around a field 'cos
the wind picked up a bit.

Duncan
Saying Hi Rusty!

Old June 25th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
sPoNiX

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:09:47 +0100, "nicolachilds"
wrote:

Hi All,

Have just convinced the girlfriend (after several years trying) to go
camping.

She has decided to go again, but wants a bigger tent (8-9 man). Probably so
she has room for the fridge, TV, hair dryer, ironing board etc.

Can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages between Dome, Frame
and Tunnel tents.

Most use will be mainly weekends, with upto a week in the summer.

Canvas frame tents tend to be heavy, take up boot space and are time
consuming to put up and take down. On the plus side they provide a
more useable space due to their rectangular profile IMHO. Probably
best suited to a week or more away.

Dome/Tunnel tents are generally lighter, quicker to erect but the
space tends to be less useable as they are curved in profile and tend
to provide less headroom.

Dome tents are more stable in a breeze than tunnel tents which have a
tendancy to bend but provide a marginally less useable space .

sPoNiX
Old June 27th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
carstev[_2_]

I agree with the earlier poster re the Vango Colorado, I have been using one
now for 2 seasons a great tent never any hassle at all. Plus loads of room,
the living area is bigger than some single garages.

Steve
wrote:

[...]

---