leisure battery

Old June 24th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chas

Default leisure battery

Ive just bought a campervan and after checking it out im unsure whether the
leisure bat is working. I tested it accross the terminals and it measured
6.7volts
It works on a split charger from the main van battery.How do i test to see
if it is charging properly? or is it knackered already. I know the previous
owner never got out in it much.

Old June 24th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
QrizB[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:44:28 +0100, "chas"
wrote:

Ive just bought a campervan and after checking it out im unsure whether the
leisure bat is working. I tested it accross the terminals and it measured
6.7volts
It works on a split charger from the main van battery.How do i test to see
if it is charging properly? or is it knackered already. I know the previous
owner never got out in it much.

In all likelihood the battery's knackered.

Measure the voltage with the engine running. If it's something like 12
to 14 volts then you know the split charge circuit's working OK, and
it's just the battery that's past it. If it's still only 6 or 7 volts
then it's likely that your split charge doodah is broken too.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old June 26th 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
chas

hi Aagain

I checked the batt terminals with the engin running and still got the same
reading.
does anyone know what terminals or wires i need to check on the charging rig
to see if it really is stuffed. save shelling out 4 1 if its ok.
thanks Chas

Old June 26th 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian.Grindey

chas wrote:

Ive just bought a campervan and after checking it out im unsure whether
the leisure bat is working. I tested it accross the terminals and it
measured 6.7volts
It works on a split charger from the main van battery.How do i test to see
if it is charging properly? or is it knackered already. I know the
previous owner never got out in it much.

Even with a knackerd battery I would expect the terminal voltage to be
around 12 v with the engine running. give it a few mins to charge before
testing the voltage if all is well with the charging circuit the voltage
should be about the same on both battery's .Before buying anything check
for loose wires and or blown fuses

If after charging for a few mins (10 ?) with the engine running ,you stop
and test the voltage again and it is still 6 volts battery is scrap this
presumes you have proved the charging circuit is working. Alternatively
charge from the mains overnight and test again .
--
Output Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.1