Holmsley and car parking

Old June 26th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian diddams

Default Holmsley and car parking

Hi - my family is booked in for a few nights in latish August at
holmsley, new forst (forestry commission site)... I am due to be at work
(Newbury) for a couple of the week days, so we'll need both cars "in
atendance" probably.

However - at 4 extra a night just to park a car somewhere I was
wondering if anybody that lives locally/has been there before has any
experience/ideas of alternative local places to park in the vicinity of
the campsite to try and avoid this charge; if this makes me sound like a
cheapskate then I'll put my hand up and admit it :-) I'd just rather
spend that 4 on my children !

cheers

Ian

Old June 26th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:49:40 +0100, ian diddams wrote:

Hi - my family is booked in for a few nights in latish August at
holmsley, new forst (forestry commission site)... I am due to be at work
(Newbury) for a couple of the week days, so we'll need both cars "in
atendance" probably.

However - at 4 extra a night just to park a car somewhere I was
wondering if anybody that lives locally/has been there before has any
experience/ideas of alternative local places to park in the vicinity of
the campsite to try and avoid this charge; if this makes me sound like a
cheapskate then I'll put my hand up and admit it :-) I'd just rather
spend that 4 on my children !

Now if it was Setthorns (caravans and backpackers only site) I know of
a nice quiet lane...

Have you considered the train?
Old June 26th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Bryan Hall

There's a free public car park about 5 mins walk from the site- you'll drive
past it on the way in

However personally I'd pay the money, rather than leave the car on public
display all night.
It may be pretty in the forest but cars are fair game during the tourist
season

Then again - who's going to be checking on the site for the car anyway -
that time of year there will be too many to take too much notice anyway

Old June 26th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian diddams

Phil Cook wrote:

Have you considered the train?

Oh - that's not a bad idea (depending on the trains of course :-)

Where's the local stations ... bikable?

cheers!

ian

Old June 26th 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
ian diddams

Then again - who's going to be checking on the site for the car anyway -
that time of year there will be too many to take too much notice anyway

well... I sort of wondered that. On the booking form they ask for the car
registration; I presume they must do some sort of checks... otherwise
"everyone" would be blagging it. Unless they in fact don't care at all in
reality and just take any honest types money as a bonus. I don't begrudge them
the charge - although I do feel 4 an night is pretty steep; I'd just rather
spend the money on something else!

Any (ex?) workers listening in able to comment? ;-)

cheers

ian

Old June 26th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:53:58 +0100, ian diddams wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:

Have you considered the train?

Oh - that's not a bad idea (depending on the trains of course :-)

Hinton Admiral - Southampton - Reading - Newbury

Where's the local stations ... bikable?

Eminently so. Nice and flat round there. Hinton Admiral station is 6km
away as the bike wobbles along the side roads.
--
Phil Cook
Old June 26th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fran

said...
Hinton Admiral station

What a lovely name!
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old June 28th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"ian diddams" wrote in message
Then again - who's going to be checking on the site for the car anyway -
that time of year there will be too many to take too much notice anyway

well... I sort of wondered that. On the booking form they ask for the car
registration; I presume they must do some sort of checks... otherwise
"everyone" would be blagging it. Unless they in fact don't care at all in
reality and just take any honest types money as a bonus. I don't

begrudge them
the charge - although I do feel 4 an night is pretty steep; I'd just

rather
spend the money on something else!

Any (ex?) workers listening in able to comment? ;-)

cheers

ian

You get a sticker to put in the car window, so they know you have paid and
are on the site etc.

You could possibly get your other half to meet you outside of the gate
somewhere with the sticker on your way in and then get it back off you for
her car on your way out.

Old July 1st 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris[_2_]

"Andy Vines" wrote in message

[...]

Stayed there Aug 03 with 2 cars. They will let both in so you can unload
etc. You will get a sticker for each paid car which they check up on. Be
warned the sticker is very sticky !. It was extremely difficult to remove
afterwards and marked the painted door mirror.

They were happy for me to park my second car in the site car park just
behind the reception area for free all week. Depends on where you pitch your
tent, but anything from 1 min to 10 minutes walk.

Also as an aside if you have a trailer which can be used to transport
animals, it will not be allowed to stay on site ( the commoners are worried
that you may steal a pony). A friend had to store theirs in the site car
park.

Chris

Old July 2nd 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Phil Cook wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:49:40 +0100, ian diddams wrote:

Hi - my family is booked in for a few nights in latish August at
holmsley, new forst (forestry commission site)... I am due to be at work
(Newbury) for a couple of the week days, so we'll need both cars "in
atendance" probably.

However - at 4 extra a night just to park a car somewhere I was
wondering if anybody that lives locally/has been there before has any
experience/ideas of alternative local places to park in the vicinity of
the campsite to try and avoid this charge....

Have you considered the train?

IMO anyone taking a car into the New Forest in the summer months should
be subjected to punitive charges. They are wrecking the area.

John B