Mesh Lanterns

Old June 27th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil Purling

Default Mesh Lanterns

There is the Primus Himalaya, Coleman F1 and Karrimor.
All of these have a metal mesh globe instead of glass.How much does the mesh
cut the light output?

I have a Epigas lantern which consumes a 500g cartridge in 6 hours. Is this
normal?
Most makers quote 8-12 hours for a 80watt lantern with a 500g cartridge.

Old June 27th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Keith[_2_]

Default Hook ups

Im off camping in a few weeks for the first time.
I justy wondered if anyone knows the cheapest place for electric hook ups.
I want a 3 socket one for a frame tent.
TIA
Keith

---
Old June 27th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris 159

"Keith" wrote in message
Im off camping in a few weeks for the first time.
I justy wondered if anyone knows the cheapest place for electric hook ups.
I want a 3 socket one for a frame tent.
TIA
Keith

probably ebay. theres dozens on there

Old June 27th 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil Purling

So who hijacked this thread???
I want to know if anybody has any practical experience of using the mesh
lanterns and can offer comments.
Please read my original post

Old June 27th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

"Neil Purling" wrote in message
So who hijacked this thread???
I want to know if anybody has any practical experience of using the mesh
lanterns and can offer comments.
Please read my original post

I have a small primus mesh lantern ( think it's the Himalaya)....great for
the small tent ...obviously the porch area. It is low enough to not heat the
roof of the tent up too much.......the larger one does that1!

I have not used it in the big tent yet but suspect that it does not give as
much light as the bigger glass globed lantern I have.....only as it is so
much more compact. I doubt that the mesh has much effect on the light
throwing power, although I may be wrong. On the cannister use, I find it is
easy to turn the gaz up too high...there seems to be an optimal setting, any
higher & you burn gaz but do not get any more power.

I certainly don't worry about it getting broken and don't need to package it
when I pack up....it comes in a tiny cube shaped box....great liitle lantern
actually!

Julie

Old June 28th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil Purling

Julie,
As a matter of curiosity can you remember how much your lantern cost you?
The Himalaya tends to be quite pricey in the UK
The Coleman F1 mesh lantern is 34. I looked at the US Coleman site and it
was originally listed at US$35. Wondered what the Stateside price is now?

I did fancy the Coleman F1 because it is very compact and also it has a
stuff sack with a plastic cylinder that protects the lantern if its bouncing
around inside your rucksack.

Have you ever used your mesh lantern outside the tent? It sounds like they
may not be a outside lantern.

I have been opening the tap on my lantern all the way. Perhaps I ought to
look to see where the mantle stops getting brighter and go no further.

Old June 28th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

I have been opening the tap on my lantern all the way. Perhaps I ought to
look to see where the mantle stops getting brighter and go no further.

That's what I do with my gas lamp. It goes to a certain brightness and then
no brighter so just back it off to just before the point it starts to get
dimmer.

Old June 30th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

Sorry I really cannot remember.

They are not cheap though. Still I've had some bits of gear for years so
over 10 years such things work out better value than crappy gear!!

Julie