Best bivvy bag?

Old June 30th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

Default Best bivvy bag?

Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?
Old June 30th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
simplesimon

"Andrew Gill" wrote in message
Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?

Rab make an excellent lightweight bivvy bag from coated pertex called
'survival zone' which I seem to recall is priced around the 50 mark This
would probably be ok for emergency use but you may well want to invest in a
slightly heavier fabric if it was for planned overnight stays

simon

Old July 1st 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
peter

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Andrew Gill wrote:

Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?

I have a Terranova goretex bivvy bag. Weighs and packs up to next to
nothing (compared to the Thermarest and sleeping bag anyway - I roll it
up inside the Thermarest and it makes virtually no difference to the
pack size). Perfectly warm and dry enough for the Scottish winter
mountains where I use it, and the breathability is superb.
Only drawback is the cost, around 200 GBP I think it was.

Old July 1st 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
peter

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Andrew Gill wrote:

Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?

PS I think you'll get some useful responses if you post this on
uk.rec.walking

Old July 1st 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Creeping Stone

=|[ Andrew Gill's ]|= wrote:

Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?

Ive been using army surplus goretex bivvy bags for a few years, the stuff
is like no other material, its waterproofness is total (you can sleep
comfortably in a swamp) and its not dependant on its condition -only its
breathability degrades if it looses its condition with wear and exposure
etc. It can be restored with washing, and repellency spray, or I suspect -a
faint smearing with hairwax (?)

I just got a cheap tent (proaction) because with extended wet spells
constant bivvying can get bothersome. The tent weighs about 2 Kilos, and
the bivvy about 800 grams. I like to sleep with the front of the flysheet
off, under the midgie netting and inside the bivvy its no problem if some
rain comes into the tent during the night.

The bivvy is a superb emergency item as you can crawl into and rest
whatever the location or conditions. I also find in fair weather you can
get a unique camping experience on unpitchable, remote and elevated spots
that wouldnt be practical or appreciatable in any kind of tent except maybe
a totaly see through one.

Other materials might be lighter than the goretex, I usualy prefer natural
materials and NewZealander's apperently have a trational waterproof and
breathable bivvy material, but I would be surprised if there is anything
that equals goretex's qualities.

-Its the proper stuff ;]
--
' chuice,
android
Old July 2nd 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Daytona[_2_]

Andrew Gill wrote:

Which is the best sort of bivvy bag for warmth and weight - nylon or
Goretex?

Reviews here
URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewcategory.asp?RGN=11&RCN=12&ob=p.noreviews&ob order=desc&SP=328920336968364241518&V=1

I bought a Army surplus Gortex bag (790g) for 30 on the basis of the
review, but haven't used it in anger yet. I've no experience of nylon
bivvies.

Daytona