Which winch?

Old October 8th 03, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Default Which winch?

Have read a lot of posts recently about motor movers, hitchdrive, etc. I'm
looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx 30
metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings! At the
moment considering some form of manually operated winch/cable affair. Any
ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
Tony
Old October 8th 03, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| Have read a lot of posts recently about motor movers, hitchdrive, etc. I'm
| looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx 30
| metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings! At the
| moment considering some form of manually operated winch/cable affair. Any
| ideas gratefully received.

I took a DIY approach..... I have welding facilities here and the whole
thing cost me only 5, for the steel rope.

A short bit of scaffold pole mounted in an angle iron frame with a
crank welded onto the end, of about 12". A suitable length of flexible
steel wire rope (30m in my case) of 3/16 diameter to pull the van. This
locates onto a short hook, welded onto the scaffold pole.

I use it to pull the van backwards up the slope from the road, rather
than trying to reverse it up on the back of the car. I crank it up,
whilst someone else just steers it. The gearing is a little on the low
side and it would quite easily cope with much more of a slope.

To prevent it rolling back down the slope should anything go amiss, I
added a pair of chocks which drag just behind the wheels as it goes up
the slope.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 8th 03, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
Have read a lot of posts recently about motor movers, hitchdrive, etc.

I'm
looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx 30
metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings! At the
moment considering some form of manually operated winch/cable affair. Any
ideas gratefully received.

That's all I use, simple winch with a nylon belt. Fortunately I have a tree
right at the end of, and on the centreline of, the path, which makes it very
convenient.

12 volt electric winches are available for about 50, but I'm not sure how
long the cable is on them. Take a look on ebay, there are always lots on
there.

Bill

Old October 8th 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:14:17 +0100, Tony Hayes
wrote:

I'm
looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx 30
metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings!

Push it with the car.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 8th 03, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

wrote:

I'm
looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx 30
metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings!

Push it with the car.

(remove the spam to reply)

Not possible unfortunately, but thanks for your input ;-)

Tony
Old October 9th 03, 04:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...

wrote:

I'm
looking for an economical way of getting a caravan a distance of approx

30
metres up and down a very slight incline, over loose chippings!

Push it with the car.

(remove the spam to reply)

Not possible unfortunately, but thanks for your input ;-)

Tony

I like the idea of the trailing chocks.

Old October 9th 03, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Thanks to all for the replies. All noted and will be acted upon :-)

Tony