Night lantern

Old July 6th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy R

Default Night lantern

"Matthew Augier (dps)" wrote in message
My wife is quite opposed to us using a gas lantern for night (because of
kids) - how have people got on with the battery ones / good / bad etc.?
Recommendations?

We had a rechargeable Coleman with flourescent tubes in it that was OK but
went back to gas.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 6th 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

In article , Matthew Augier (dps) wrote:
My wife is quite opposed to us using a gas lantern for night (because of
kids) - how have people got on with the battery ones / good / bad etc.?
Recommendations?

I've got one of the boxy twin tube ones. You can use one or both tubes and
it claims to last upto 9 hours IIRC.

We've done two camping hols this year with it and its been great, you can
charge it from your cars ciggy lighter or the mains. I've got a solar
panel I've charged it with too. The battery is a 6V sealed lead acid one
so a replacment will be easy to come by when needed, though that shouldn't
be for some time yet.

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old July 6th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Matthew Augier \(dps\)

My wife is quite opposed to us using a gas lantern for night (because of
kids) - how have people got on with the battery ones / good / bad etc.?
Recommendations?

TIA

Mat

Old July 6th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:59:41 GMT, "Matthew Augier \(dps\)"
wrote:

My wife is quite opposed to us using a gas lantern for night (because of
kids)

Hi,

I think these can be made relatively safe.

If you have a dome tent sew in a cloth tape to the exact centre on the
inside, then you can tie the lantern up there and knocking it isn't a
problem - and for frame tents you can get hooks that fit on the frame.

Just a suggestion

- how have people got on with the battery ones / good / bad etc.?
Recommendations?

I don't like them; they eat batteries, don't warm up the tent like the
gas light does, don't create as much light...
--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old July 6th 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Keith[_2_]

Ive just picked up a 12v and mains rechargeable lantern from woolworths at half price for 9.99.
It has a 7w flourescent energy saving tube.
Keith

Old July 6th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Matthew Augier \(dps\)

Hi,

I think these can be made relatively safe.

If you have a dome tent sew in a cloth tape to the exact centre on the
inside, then you can tie the lantern up there and knocking it isn't a
problem - and for frame tents you can get hooks that fit on the frame.

Just a suggestion

Got a tunnel tent, but I would of thought that much heat too close to the
material could damge it?

Mat

Old July 6th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Matthew Augier (dps)" wrote in message
Hi,

I think these can be made relatively safe.

If you have a dome tent sew in a cloth tape to the exact centre on the
inside, then you can tie the lantern up there and knocking it isn't a
problem - and for frame tents you can get hooks that fit on the frame.

Just a suggestion

Got a tunnel tent, but I would of thought that much heat too close to the
material could damge it?

Mat

We use a 12v fluorescent strip light attached to the car battery (I have
continuously run the light for 10 hours and the car still started fine
afterwards), it is OK, but as mentioned, it doesn't warm the tent. we clip
it to a broom stale and it doubles as a bin bag holder!!!

We also use a Coleman duel fuel lantern running unleaded petrol... the heat
radiated from the top is minimal, as long as nothing touchs the actual lamp
it is fine... we just hang it in the tent 10 mins before bedtime and hey
presto, the tent is warm and the damp edge has been taken away... and it is
FAR FAR brighter than the battery lamp...

As long at the lamp is out of reach of the kids you should be fine...

Old July 6th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Craigy

The Colman twin flouresent one is good. I know a gas one is brighter,
but a battery one is easier to turn on and off Etc, and its more
portable. ** remember its a lead acid batterery so its important to
understand HOW to charge it**. Look it up on google. But never run it
right down, and NEVER leave it uncharged for any lenght of time after
using it.
Old July 6th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:36:23 GMT, "Matthew Augier \(dps\)"
wrote:

Hi,

I think these can be made relatively safe.

If you have a dome tent sew in a cloth tape to the exact centre on the
inside, then you can tie the lantern up there and knocking it isn't a
problem - and for frame tents you can get hooks that fit on the frame.

Just a suggestion

Got a tunnel tent, but I would of thought that much heat too close to the
material could damge it?

I've never had a problem with the heat damaging the tent - spent
several years camping with the lantern's chain tied to the top of the
inner in the dome.

I don't know how you could securely tie it to the roof of a dome
though!

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old July 7th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

wrote:

Hi,

I think these can be made relatively safe.

If you have a dome tent sew in a cloth tape to the exact centre on the
inside, then you can tie the lantern up there and knocking it isn't a
problem - and for frame tents you can get hooks that fit on the frame.

Just a suggestion

Got a tunnel tent, but I would of thought that much heat too close to the
material could damge it?

I've never had a problem with the heat damaging the tent - spent
several years camping with the lantern's chain tied to the top of the
inner in the dome.

I don't know how you could securely tie it to the roof of a dome
though!

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk

All of my dome tents have (or have had in the past) little hanging loops
sewn in at the hightest point... we just bent a tentpeg to hang as a hook...