Small update on Shell Island, Llanbedr

« - | - »

Old July 8th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

Default Small update on Shell Island, Llanbedr

I just got back from a whole weeks camp at Shell Island/Mochras. Folks who
go there may be interested to know that the Acorn Village area has now
closed down. The owners state that they are still more than happy to
accommodate groups from schools/scouts/and that kind of thing. Now the
enormo-tents have gone, there are what look like some fairly nice pitches
available.

For those who enjoy the flying from the nearby Llanbedr air field, its still
going on for the time being - Hawks from Valley appeared a few times a day,
and the Alpha Jet/Jindivik 'coupling' went up on about 4 occasions. For
those who don't enjoy the flying, I believe the airfield is closing down in
September.

We also discovered a rather nice Indian Restaurant in Abermaw/Barmouth. If
only I could remember its name. Damn. Anyhoo...its the one nearer the centre
of town that doesn't close at 9pm...

On top of that....the tents held up against the gale force winds, the
weather got out *really* nicely for about 3 days, and a good time was had by
all :-)

Duncan

Old July 8th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Damon

Hey this sounds quite interesting too!

You reckon its possible for 4 lads and a dog to camp there? Fires allowed
too?

DAmon

Old July 8th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when Damon said...

Hey this sounds quite interesting too!

You reckon its possible for 4 lads and a dog to camp there? Fires
allowed too?

They have no issue with fires on the beach. If you want one on the campsite,
you gotta take a brazier or something similar. The area is a bit of a nature
reserve, and they protect the dunes at all cost. I *think* you might be
able to hire a brazier from the campsite.

Dogs are more than welcome (as long as you clean up after them!) and they
have a good beach where dogs are allowed off leash.

They are, however, kinda strict about their 11 o'clock noise curfew, and
generally frown upon groups of lads, I'm afraid. Still...its gotta be worth
giving them a call. I don't have the number off hand, but if you google
"Shell Island" and "Llanbedr" that should point you at their web site.

Duncan

Old July 11th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Niles

"Thunderchief" wrote:

|and
|generally frown upon groups of lads, I'm afraid.

AIUI, their 'no lads' rule is particularly enforced in school holidays, but
outside then when the site is less busy...

www.shellisland.co.uk

--
| Niles, Nottingham
"Excuse me! | ICQ UIN 12724766
-- I'm a virtuous person now." | outpages.com/nilex
Old July 11th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when Niles said...

"Thunderchief" wrote:

and
generally frown upon groups of lads, I'm afraid.

AIUI, their 'no lads' rule is particularly enforced in school
holidays, but outside then when the site is less busy...

www.shellisland.co.uk

Heh. I really should have put the URL in.

D'oh!! ;-)

Duncan

Old July 11th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Damon

Thanks boys,

i think we're sorted now - staying at the campsite near Barmouth -
apparently we can have huge fires on the beach there!

Yay!

Old July 12th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when Damon said...

Thanks boys,

i think we're sorted now - staying at the campsite near Barmouth -
apparently we can have huge fires on the beach there!

Yay!

Damon

Coolness!

Hope you have a good time!