South coast recommendations please

« - | - »

Old July 12th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

Default South coast recommendations please

Can anyone recommend a site/sites on the southcoast for me. Want to stay
for a week somewhere on the coast but not sure where, and I am a bit
reluctant to book a whole week in advance with somewhere I've never been
before.

Somewhere between Exeter and Portsmouth is the area I'm thinking of. A
nice, close by sandy beach for the kids to play on is essential as are
places to visit, zoo, castles that sort of thing. Decent on camp
facilities would be nice too. Just spent a weekend at Dymchurch and the
sites shower/toilet blocks weren't cleaned once in four days. Most sites
I've stayed at you see the cleaners at least once a day if not twice.

Anyone?

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old July 12th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David[_3_]

Simon Barr wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend a site/sites on the southcoast for me. Want to stay
for a week somewhere on the coast but not sure where, and I am a bit
reluctant to book a whole week in advance with somewhere I've never been
before.

Somewhere between Exeter and Portsmouth is the area I'm thinking of. A
nice, close by sandy beach for the kids to play on is essential as are
places to visit, zoo, castles that sort of thing. Decent on camp
facilities would be nice too. Just spent a weekend at Dymchurch and the
sites shower/toilet blocks weren't cleaned once in four days. Most sites
I've stayed at you see the cleaners at least once a day if not twice.

Anyone?

Weymouth/Lulworth. You wont regret it. Beautiful scenery, coastline,
walking beaches, cliffs.
Dave
Old July 12th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mark[_2_]

Try http://www.stilwell.co.uk/show_town....mps%7CL4342805

Exmouth beach (massive sand beach) 10 mins drive. To escape the crowds at
Exmouth, catch the ferry from Exmouth dock over to Dawlish warren. Loads of
sand!

The kids will go into meltdown at Crealey adventure park
http://www.crealy.co.uk/ (sit 5 mins from campsite)

Exeter 10 mins

Fantastic pub in Woodbury called the Malsters. 10 mins walk from the site.
Fantastic for the food. I can recommend the kangaroo and bass. Woodbury
has a 2nd pub with a good beer garden and also a Chinese takeaway.

Oh yes and while you're there go and visit your neighbour to the campsite,
Nigel Mansell. He owns and lives at Woodbury Park which is a golf course
and leisure complex.

Budleigh Salterton (10 mins), very unspoilt (no hotels !) and nice for a
walk along the front in the evening. Stone beach but very nice.

Lympstone by the Exe estuary...idilic !

Train ride along the Exe estuary from Exmouth into Exeter.

Topsham (10 mins) ....very smart and perfect for an evening wander
along the quayside.#

I could go on and on and on. Now you know why I live here.

Mark (alias Woodburyboy)

"Simon Barr" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a site/sites on the southcoast for me. Want to stay
for a week somewhere on the coast but not sure where, and I am a bit
reluctant to book a whole week in advance with somewhere I've never been
before.

Somewhere between Exeter and Portsmouth is the area I'm thinking of. A
nice, close by sandy beach for the kids to play on is essential as are
places to visit, zoo, castles that sort of thing. Decent on camp
facilities would be nice too. Just spent a weekend at Dymchurch and the
sites shower/toilet blocks weren't cleaned once in four days. Most sites
I've stayed at you see the cleaners at least once a day if not twice.

Anyone?

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
'97 110 300Tdi.

---

Old July 14th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

In article , Mark wrote:
Try http://www.stilwell.co.uk/show_town....mps%7CL4342805

Exmouth beach (massive sand beach) 10 mins drive. To escape the crowds at
Exmouth, catch the ferry from Exmouth dock over to Dawlish warren. Loads of
sand!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've stayed at Dawlish a couple of times now
both in tents and in apartments, nice place.

Old July 14th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Thunderchief

There I was, minding my own business, when Simon Barr said...

In article , Mark wrote:
Try http://www.stilwell.co.uk/show_town....mps%7CL4342805

Exmouth beach (massive sand beach) 10 mins drive. To escape the
crowds at Exmouth, catch the ferry from Exmouth dock over to Dawlish
warren. Loads of sand!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've stayed at Dawlish a couple of times
now both in tents and in apartments, nice place.

You gotta love that walk through the tunnel to get to the beach in the very
nearby Shaldon/Ness Cove :-)

Duncan

Old July 14th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mick[_2_]

Going to Dawlish myself in a couple of weeks. Lady's Mile campsite
http://www.ladysmile.co.uk/.
The area is great although I have not stayed at the campsite before. Great
for kids but probably not a quiet site.

Mick