Campsites in France

Old July 19th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Colette A. O'Brien

Default Campsites in France

Hi all

Forgive me if this is a frequently asked/answered question, but I
couldn't see any pointers to FAQs - so here goes.

We used to camp a lot before we had children, often rough camping in
small tents. Our 3 children range in age from 7 to 11 and we have just
bought a family tent and are thinking of camping in France for a couple
of weeks. We don't mind our camping a bit rough and ready but the
children's favourite part of any holiday is the swimming pool so we want
a site with one of those. Most websites assume you want one of their
tents or mobile homes.

How do we go about booking a campsite where we can pitch our own tent?
While I'm here - anyone know a website for comparing ferry crossings -
we are rather shocked at the prices.

Thanks for any help or tips.
--
Rgds
Colette
Old July 19th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David klyne

"Colette A. O'Brien" wrote in message
[...]

You often find that campsites don't actually mention anything about their
touring pitches! What you usually have to do is follow the link to the
prices and somewhere on that page is usually the bit about 'emplacements'.
Just beware that it is fairly common in France to charge a non
returnable/non deductible admin fee which can be as much as 20. If you book
via the Camping and Caravanning Club, if you are a member, you tend only to
pay for the pitch without the fee. The Clubs also do some good deals of
ferries and insurance. The same also applies to companies like Sites Direct
and Eurocamp. As far as booking is concerned this is only usually required
during their peak season from mid July to the middle of August, out side of
these times you can just turn up.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 19th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy R

"Colette A. O'Brien" wrote in message
Hi all

Forgive me if this is a frequently asked/answered question, but I
couldn't see any pointers to FAQs - so here goes.

We used to camp a lot before we had children, often rough camping in
small tents. Our 3 children range in age from 7 to 11 and we have just
bought a family tent and are thinking of camping in France for a couple
of weeks. We don't mind our camping a bit rough and ready but the
children's favourite part of any holiday is the swimming pool so we want
a site with one of those.

Buy the Alan Rogers guide, well worth it.

Most websites assume you want one of their
tents or mobile homes.

Probably cos only the bigger holiday sites bother to publish a website.

How do we go about booking a campsite where we can pitch our own tent?

Just phone them, IIRC the Rogers guide says if they speak English.

While I'm here - anyone know a website for comparing ferry crossings -
we are rather shocked at the prices.

If you're looking for a budget crossing then http://www.speedferries.com/
are offering 50 unrestricted returns for ordinary cars.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 19th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy R

"dmcd11" wrote in message
Speedferry sounds great!!!........What is it like on the
speedferry????.....................it is a catamaran I see,

..............is
it a bumpy ride??? I am asking as I get sea sick easily.
thanks

I believe it's an old cat but saving so much money it's got to be worth a
shot. They've only got the one boat so you can't afford to miss it and wait
for the next one. For that sort of money it's worth booking the return and
if you hate it on the outbound you can come back with one of the other
operators and probably still be in pocket overall.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 19th 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

Colette A. O'Brien wrote:

Hi all

Forgive me if this is a frequently asked/answered question, but I
couldn't see any pointers to FAQs - so here goes.

We used to camp a lot before we had children, often rough camping in
small tents. Our 3 children range in age from 7 to 11 and we have just
bought a family tent and are thinking of camping in France for a couple
of weeks. We don't mind our camping a bit rough and ready but the
children's favourite part of any holiday is the swimming pool so we want
a site with one of those. Most websites assume you want one of their
tents or mobile homes.

How do we go about booking a campsite where we can pitch our own tent?
While I'm here - anyone know a website for comparing ferry crossings -
we are rather shocked at the prices.

Thanks for any help or tips.

You could try a pre-booking + ferry thing if you want, like Select Site
Reservations, where they will do they whole thing for you. Alan Rogers
(as in the book) does something similar.

Very good for new campers in France, and not that much more expensive
than the ferry tickets by themselves.

If you aren't too fussy - i.e. you don't want to stay in the big tourist
sites and are prepared to look around, you can just get a return ticket
and do it 'on spec'. (Don't know if this applies down south)

Old July 19th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Paul Robson

dmcd11 wrote:

Speedferry sounds great!!!........What is it like on the
speedferry????.....................it is a catamaran I see, .............is
it a bumpy ride??? I am asking as I get sea sick easily.
thanks

I haven't been on this new one but it is a Cat and as such a bit tougher
for those prone to seaksickness.