Seaon Sleeping Bags

Old July 24th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

Default Seaon Sleeping Bags

I have heard people mention 1,2,3 & 4 season sleeping bags.
I think I know what they mean, but could someone clarify what they
mean? Is season 1 for spring, thru to season 4 for winter?

Many thanks for your help
Old July 24th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jayne

"Andrew Gill" wrote in message
I have heard people mention 1,2,3 & 4 season sleeping bags.
I think I know what they mean, but could someone clarify what they
mean? Is season 1 for spring, thru to season 4 for winter?

Many thanks for your help

It depends on the manufacturer. Somewhere in their literature they should
explain what their season ratings mean. Some of them don't use season
ratings, but use temperatures instead - minimum, maximum and comfort range.

They all do their ratings assuming that a person is sleeping on a sleeping
mat of some kind.

Jayne

Old July 25th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article ,
says...

I have heard people mention 1,2,3 & 4 season sleeping bags.
I think I know what they mean, but could someone clarify what they
mean? Is season 1 for spring, thru to season 4 for winter?
Many thanks for your help

That generaly seems to be the idea - Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter - but
try to define precise climate temperatures for each season!!!! Pretty
hopeless exercise and I think the treminology used - 3/4 season - is
not much help. However, many manufacturers now categorise their product
in terms of 'Comfort Range' ie: +3 deg C - + 21 Deg C or similar. From
that you can pretty much figure out what you need. However you might like
to cinsider the following aspects when trying to determine what is
suitable for you and select accordingly.

1] Intended use: Tent/Other/General/Backpacking/Rough
2] Time of year to be used and anticipated climate.
3] Style: Mummy/Square etc
4] How will you use it? - partially clothed/unclothed.
5] Complementary equipment used - bivi bag/hooped bivi etc

You also need to adjust according to your own personal temp comfort
range. Some people just cannot sleep if too warm/cold.

I have two bags, one I use for temps between - 5/7 deg C up to + 10 deg C
outdoor use only and another for all other times/occasions

Old July 26th 04, 04:42 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:53:06 +0000 (UTC), Richard Baker wrote:

"Andrew Gill" wrote in message
.. .
I have heard people mention 1,2,3 & 4 season sleeping bags.
I think I know what they mean, but could someone clarify what they
mean? Is season 1 for spring, thru to season 4 for winter?

yes

Not quite.

It's a rating system.

1 season - summer (10 deg)

2 season - summer late spring early autumn (0 deg)

3 season - spring summer autumn (-7 deg)

4 season - spring autumn winter (-15 deg, too hot for summer)

5 season - winters more severe than we get in the uk. (-25 and lower)

The temperature ratings are approximate as are the ratings given by
manufacturers. You need to know if you sleep hot or cold and how each
bag performs to know exactly which rating you need.

Old July 26th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:42:30 +0100, Phil Cook
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:53:06 +0000 (UTC), Richard Baker wrote:

"Andrew Gill" wrote in message
. ..
I have heard people mention 1,2,3 & 4 season sleeping bags.
I think I know what they mean, but could someone clarify what they
mean? Is season 1 for spring, thru to season 4 for winter?

yes

Not quite.

It's a rating system.

1 season - summer (10 deg)

2 season - summer late spring early autumn (0 deg)

3 season - spring summer autumn (-7 deg)

4 season - spring autumn winter (-15 deg, too hot for summer)

5 season - winters more severe than we get in the uk. (-25 and lower)

The temperature ratings are approximate as are the ratings given by
manufacturers. You need to know if you sleep hot or cold and how each
bag performs to know exactly which rating you need.

So for staying in the UK (highlands, Snowdonia) the best choice looks
like season 3