Towbar lock recomendation; on and off hitch?

Old July 26th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
in2minds

Default Towbar lock recomendation; on and off hitch?

"Lobster" wrote in message
Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced towbar lock, suitable for

use
either when fitted to the car's towball or when free-standing?

I'm definitely not after anything really high-security-ish; this is

only to
protect a fairly crabby trailer - I just want something as a deterrent

stop it being lifted quite as easily as it could be now (ie no

protection at
all). It's equally vulnerable on or off the car, and I don't want the
hassle of having two separate locks.

Thanks
David

plenty on ebay...

http://tinyurl.com/6qk4o

try this one...

http://tinyurl.com/4gum8

Old July 26th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:09:01 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

| Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced towbar lock, suitable for use
| either when fitted to the car's towball or when free-standing?
|
| I'm definitely not after anything really high-security-ish; this is only to
| protect a fairly crabby trailer - I just want something as a deterrent to
| stop it being lifted quite as easily as it could be now (ie no protection at
| all). It's equally vulnerable on or off the car, and I don't want the
| hassle of having two separate locks.

I never bother locking my crabby trailer, no one would want to steal it.
Are you sure that yours is *worth* stealing?

Dave F

Old July 26th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc

Old July 26th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Hitch Lock

Lobster wrote:

Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced towbar lock, suitable for
use either when fitted to the car's towball or when free-standing?

I'm definitely not after anything really high-security-ish; this is
only to protect a fairly crabby trailer - I just want something as a
deterrent to stop it being lifted quite as easily as it could be now
(ie no protection at all). It's equally vulnerable on or off the
car, and I don't want the hassle of having two separate locks.

Thanks
David

The one on my caravan is called a Brunalock - or some such - and seems to
work ok.

Although it can be used on or off the car (the bottom plate fits the other
way round to miss the towball) the instructions do recommend that it isn't
fitted while actually towing - because you may need to uncouple in a hurry
in case of an emergency.

I carry mine in the car when towing, and fit it if we leave the outfit
unattended at motorway service stations etc.

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 26th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc

"Lobster" wrote in message
Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced towbar lock, suitable for use
either when fitted to the car's towball or when free-standing?

I'm definitely not after anything really high-security-ish; this is only

protect a fairly crabby trailer - I just want something as a deterrent to
stop it being lifted quite as easily as it could be now (ie no protection

at
all). It's equally vulnerable on or off the car, and I don't want the
hassle of having two separate locks.

I was put off the Alko ones by price of 45/50.
My dealer sold me for about 10 a sindle lock that goes through my Alko
coupling and stops the hitching handle being raised. Can be used unhitched
or when towing.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 26th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Lobster

wrote:

| Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced towbar lock, suitable for use
| either when fitted to the car's towball or when free-standing?
|
| I'm definitely not after anything really high-security-ish; this is only

| protect a fairly crabby trailer - I just want something as a deterrent

| stop it being lifted quite as easily as it could be now (ie no

protection at
| all). It's equally vulnerable on or off the car, and I don't want the
| hassle of having two separate locks.

I never bother locking my crabby trailer, no one would want to steal it.
Are you sure that yours is *worth* stealing?

I'm damned sure it's not; but IME the sad truth is that people will nick
things just because they can, not necessarily because of any obvious value
of the goods. The absence of any form of lock on my trailer means just
that, and I'd be more than a little annoyed to lose it!