Coleman Dual Fuel Stove

Old July 26th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Glyndwr

Default Coleman Dual Fuel Stove

Hi I have just bought a coleman duel fuel stove but no one seems to be able
to tell me when to use the coleman fluid or how often to change the
generators. Any info on this stove would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

Old July 26th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Glyndwr
writes
Hi I have just bought a coleman duel fuel stove but no one seems to be able
to tell me when to use the coleman fluid

Don't really understand this question.

The stove will run on Coleman fuel or unleaded petrol, you can use
either as you prefer. Coleman fuel is a leaner' in terms of additives
but costs lots lots more, so I use unleaded and have had no problems
with this

or how often to change the
generators.

Err, when ever it gets to the stage of needing it, I don't expect it is
likely to be very often

--
Chris French

Old July 26th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Roebear

"Glyndwr" wrote in message
Hi I have just bought a coleman duel fuel stove but no one seems to be

able
to tell me when to use the coleman fluid or how often to change the
generators. Any info on this stove would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chris

I only use unleaded, you don't ever need to use coleman fuel if you don't
want to... one of the only advantages i was told of using coleman fuel over
petrol was the carbon build ups... petrol is loads loads cheaper, but can
leave black soot on pans etc, and in the generator, thus reducing its
working life.

My stove is 2 years old now, and gets used at least 2 times a month, i am
going to buy a new generator, then leave the old one to soak in parafin
until the replacement generator cokes up, then swap them (if i can find the
original generator 2 years down the line!!!)...

Old July 27th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Geoff Briggs

Glyndwr wrote:
Thanks. The salesman in the shop mentioned that using Coleman fuel would
decoke the generators and give them a longer life and that it was advisable
to use the CF from time to time but could not tell me how often. Roebear
seems to have given me some idea now thanks. If anyone else has any thing to
add I'd be grateful to receive it. Thanks again both

I havent tried this myself yet, having only just bought myself an MSR whisperlite stove, but I have
heard from a number of sources that you can use white spirits as a fuel. This is much cleaner than
unleaded petrol, and far cheaper than coleman fuel as it cost about 1 per litre rather than 12 per
litre (and little more than petrol at 80p per litre). Just make sure the version you use is
petroleum based, as white spirits is alcohol based in some countries, and it is proper white spirits
rather than turps or a turps substitute. As I said, I haven't tried it myself yet, but intend to
soon, so if anybody wants to warn me against it, do so quickly!

Geoff

Old July 27th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:33:06 +0100, Geoff Briggs wrote:

Glyndwr wrote:
[...]

NO NO NO!

Sorry to shout but it isn't white spirits as we in the uk know it.
What we call white spirtit is turpentine substitute.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FA...whitespiritgas