New to camping, advice wanted

Old July 27th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Larry

Default New to camping, advice wanted

I used to caravan some years ago, and was accustomed to cooking with gas,
but I got rid of it as I no longer could afford the upkeep of a rapidly
depreciating (rotting) van and the costs of storage.

I am now equipping myself for tent camping, using my Land Rover as a base
vehicle with an autohaven, I purchased at Billing recently.

What are the relative merits of a stove that uses unleaded petrol over one
that uses gas, and do these petrol stoves come with a grill ?

I have always been told that petrol stoves are potentially more hazardous
than gas, but then it seems like I would need to carry less with me, if I
did not have to depend on gas bottles.

Larry

Old July 27th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jill[_2_]

I have used a range of different camping stoves over the years, and I have
had an ongoing debate around the safety/efficiency issues.
I have personally used a coleman stove for quite some years now -

You can control the stove from a gentle simmer to a full rolling boil, the
fuel - unleaded petrol - is widely available, a tank full is plenty to cook
a meal for two, with extra brews as well. The stove i have has a fairly wide
base an is stable in most conditions, it is easy to light and soon gets up
to full working temperature.

Unlike gas stoves it maintains its temperature until out of fuel, rather
than the slow loss of power you get with gas canisters, and no empty
disposal problem. Cheap to run and awsomely efficient - the main componants
are made of brass and steel, rather than the use of plastics - which when
they fail leave you without a working stove. The newere stoves are much more
refined and even more efficient, with longer usage. I must admit I have not
seen one with a grill, though I have not really been looking