Towbar coupling queries

Old July 28th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y
David W.E. Roberts

Default Towbar coupling queries

"Lobster" wrote in message
Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite figure
out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed,

and
likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't spring
open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue

what
I'm looking for (or what it should look like!) . I know this is a bit

lame,
but any ideas?

I presume it has been working and suddenly stopped?

My small trailer hitch has a trigger which locks the coupling in the 'open'
position - when you hitch up you release the trigger and the hitch snaps
shut, in theory locking it onto the towball on the car.

If this is your setup, sounds as though the trigger is jammed.

Replacement may be on the cards - in which case approach the trailer
manufacturere in the first instance.

HTH
Dave R

Old July 28th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:51:39 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

| Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite figure
| out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to be jammed, and
| likewise the bit which should engage under the towball; this won't spring
| open and close around the ball as I lower the coupling over the ball. I
| can't see anything obviously wrong or broken but really haven't a clue what
| I'm looking for (or what it should look like!) . I know this is a bit lame,
| but any ideas?
|
| Not knowing anything about towbars I'm tempted to just buy a replacement
| coupling anyway, to err on the safe side. Are these things a standard
| fitting? Mine is an SPP brand (Polish?) and is attached to the chassis by
| two large bolts on what looks like 900mm or 3.5" centres... is this
| standard, ie can I order any brand?

Sounds like the one on my *old* trailer, built of cast iron not the modern
bent tin.
Have you tried flooding it with WD40? ?twice?
If that clears the problem, regrease it.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Old July 28th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y

Old July 28th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y
Hitch Lock

Lobster wrote:

Something's wrong with my trailer towbar coupling but I can't quite
figure out what. Hard to explain in words, but the handle seems to
be jammed, and likewise the bit which should engage under the
towball; this won't spring open and close around the ball as I lower
the coupling over the ball. I can't see anything obviously wrong or
broken but really haven't a clue what I'm looking for (or what it
should look like!) . I know this is a bit lame, but any ideas?

Not knowing anything about towbars I'm tempted to just buy a
replacement coupling anyway, to err on the safe side. Are these
things a standard fitting? Mine is an SPP brand (Polish?) and is
attached to the chassis by two large bolts on what looks like 900mm
or 3.5" centres... is this standard, ie can I order any brand?

Thanks
David

I think there are several standard-ish sizes of hitch fixings - so you
should hopefully get one to fit. I think that they're rated in terms of the
overall trailer weight for which they're designed - so you need to get one
appropriate to your weight of trailer.

I presume that your bolts are at 90mm centres - 900mm would be a bit big?!

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 28th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y
Chris 159

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

i'm quite sure that 50mm ball size is the norm. check here -
www.towsure.co.uk

Old July 28th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y
Lobster

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Yes to all the above!

If this is your setup, sounds as though the trigger is jammed.

Replacement may be on the cards - in which case approach the trailer
manufacturere in the first instance.

Trouble is, it was a bespoke one, made by someone quite a distance away, so
I want to buy a replacement coupling and fit it myself, if that's what's
called for.