first time camper

Old August 1st 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
jonnybhoy

Default first time camper

Me and the girlfriend are taking our tent on a wander from Scotland
hoping to end up on the south coastof England, for a few nights camping
and a short camping break in northern france.

Any advice on where to stay- both Eengland and France-cheaper the better
), is prebooking reccommended?

Any general advice welcomed

TIA

Old August 2nd 04, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o]

"jonnybhoy" wrote in message
Me and the girlfriend are taking our tent on a wander from Scotland
hoping to end up on the south coastof England, for a few nights camping
and a short camping break in northern france.

Any advice on where to stay- both Eengland and France-cheaper the better
), is prebooking reccommended?

Any general advice welcomed

TIA

Book in advance and plan your holiday. The days have long gone, when you
could just drift down to the south coast and maybe just pop over to France
for a few days. There are thousands of camp sites in the UK but there are no
cheap good ones. If you want sites with clean facilities and good pitches
then I'm afraid it's hand in sporran time for you. However if you're not
bothered about the niceties of camping, then you might be able to persuade a
farmer to let you pitch in the corner of a field, but having done that once
I wouldn't want to have to do it again.

Jim

---

Old August 2nd 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Michael Murray

jonnybhoy wrote in message ...
Me and the girlfriend are taking our tent on a wander from Scotland
hoping to end up on the south coastof England, for a few nights camping
and a short camping break in northern france.

Any advice on where to stay- both Eengland and France-cheaper the better
), is prebooking reccommended?

Any general advice welcomed

TIA

as mentioned... ukcampsite.co.uk have a good list. My favourite in
South East are 'Highfield Farm Camping Park'. Quiet, sheltered, middle
of nowhere, spotlessly clean, and friendly. This is where I picked to
propose to gf... that should indicate how much I like it...

Also nice site on Mersey Island. There are 2 campsites, one has tennis
courts, pool, bar etc, the other one has a nice field, and friendly
staff. I've never been to the one with all the facilities, but revisit
the other on occasion.

hope that's useful,
M.

Old August 2nd 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

"Jim ]" wrote:

"jonnybhoy" wrote in message
Me and the girlfriend are taking our tent on a wander from Scotland
hoping to end up on the south coastof England, for a few nights camping
and a short camping break in northern france.

Any advice on where to stay- both Eengland and France-cheaper the better
), is prebooking reccommended?

Any general advice welcomed

TIA

Book in advance and plan your holiday.

thus negating the best thing about camping - the freedom to move around
at will.
The days have long gone, when you
could just drift down to the south coast and maybe just pop over to France
for a few days.

Well, I've managed it twice this year already for long weekends and see
no problems in doing so again.

However if you're not
bothered about the niceties of camping,

Which are?

then you might be able to persuade a
farmer to let you pitch in the corner of a field, but having done that once
I wouldn't want to have to do it again.

Having done that once I now do it regularly.
It finds the best sites away from all those whose idea of camping is to
be surrounded by a caravanners theme park.

John B