DIY conversions

Old August 4th 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Larry

Default DIY conversions

I am wondering just how snooty the varios clubs are about DIY conversions

I intend to equip my land rover for camping in conjunction with a tent
opening onto the back.

The land rover will service the tent, containing the leisure battery,
fridge and a sink/washbasin with plumbing, whilst the tent will be my main
living area, although for one night stops where putting up the tent would be
a bind, I will have the option of a full length bed inside the landie, all
of which is very easy to do without compromising the vehicle in any way.

What category of camper would that make me, tent or motorhome ?

Larry

Old August 4th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Jim :o]

"Larry" wrote in message
I am wondering just how snooty the varios clubs are about DIY conversions

I intend to equip my land rover for camping in conjunction with a tent
opening onto the back.

The land rover will service the tent, containing the leisure battery,
fridge and a sink/washbasin with plumbing, whilst the tent will be my main
living area, although for one night stops where putting up the tent would

be
a bind, I will have the option of a full length bed inside the landie, all
of which is very easy to do without compromising the vehicle in any way.

What category of camper would that make me, tent or motorhome ?

Larry

Camper van .... Neither fish nor foul. ;o)

---

Old August 4th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy R

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:28:21 +0100, "Larry"
wrote:

I am wondering just how snooty the varios clubs are about DIY conversions

I intend to equip my land rover for camping in conjunction with a tent
opening onto the back.

The land rover will service the tent, containing the leisure battery,
fridge and a sink/washbasin with plumbing, whilst the tent will be my

main
living area, although for one night stops where putting up the tent would

be
a bind, I will have the option of a full length bed inside the landie,

all
of which is very easy to do without compromising the vehicle in any way.

What category of camper would that make me, tent or motorhome ?

The Dutch motoring organisation ANWB last week warned about DIY
conversions often exceeding the weight limit for which you have a
driving license.

If we're all going to quote irrelevent information then the Azerbaijani
government has just warned new mothers about the dangers of processed milk
being given to babies.

Anyone else got anything even more irrelevent?

Rgds

Andy R

Old August 4th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris 159

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:57:29 +0100, "Andy R"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You better tell your mummy.

Anyone else got anything even more irrelevent?

You could use your own post as an example.

If you can't see why my post is relevant you'd better ask your mummy.
--

i can see where you're coming from but i'd be inclined to say that it's
irrelevant on the grounds that a landy weighs somewhere in the region of 2

i think those dutch peeps must have been thinking more along the lines of
people converting large vans into campers and throwing everything
'including' the kitchen sink into them

Old August 4th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
bill skipton

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:57:29 +0100, "Andy R"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well, I've got an uncle who was in India just after the second world
war.

But that might not be totally irrelevent because he was living in a
tent. He was also riding abount on an elefant, but whether that was
over 3.5 tons or not, I couldn't say.

Bill.

Sometimes, all you need to do is sit by a river.