Buying a caravan

Old October 10th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

Default Buying a caravan

Hi folks,

we have been caravanning off and on for years- but always in my
fathers caravan. He keeps saying you can borrow it anytime you want,
but the reality is that since retiring there are more and more times
when they are using it themselves. So it is time to strike out on our
own.

We have spent the last month or so looking, and are more confused than
ever.

Options seem to be:

1. Buy a really cheap caravan 1000

Advantages: Not committing a lot of money. Dip a toe in the water
carefully. Could afford to lose purchase price if we had to break it.

Disadvantages: Could have a lot of trouble. Worried about cost of
repairs, safety, gas leaks etc. Don't need a taster caravan, as we
already know caravanning is for us.

2. Buy a caravan from 2500- 3000. Hoping for a pretty good ten year
old caravan.

Advantages: Hope we could squeeze something really decent out at this
price. Newer shape/look. More extras- oven etc

Disadvantages: Couldn't afford to write off that kind of money if we
bought a lemon.

3. Buy a new caravan. Looking at a Bailey Ranger.

Advantages: Warranty for everything. 3 year defects. 6 year water
ingress. Can pick exactly what we want for layout etc. Should last us
a long time.

Disadvantages: A lot of money to commit. Would need finance, whereas
could afford the other two. Would have to be much more careful with
children, maintenance and storage to prevent damage- where we could
'use' the other two.

We have four children, although our oldest daughter (18) is unlikely
to be with us. Then 15 yr old son and 7 year old twin girls. So
probably looking at 5/6 berth, although could get by with a 4 plus
awning with bedroom compartment.

I know there isn't one answer, but a range of opinions would help
clarify our thinking. Additional advantages/disadvantages also
welcome. I also know that at the end of the day the choice and
responsibility is ours!

James
Old October 10th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stuart

I would never buy a new one, let someone else lose 1000 as they pull it
away from the dealers!!
the 10 year old should be ok, if you are not sure get someone you trust (
father) to check it out and make sure that everything is working before
buying. you will have things to fix, but it will be far less trouble and
replacement parts much easier to find than for a old one.

m...

Old October 10th 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

the 10 year old should be ok, if you are not sure get someone you trust (
father) to check it out and make sure that everything is working before
buying.

That's what I'd go for. In a year your teenagers won't be coming with you
(or unwillingly kicking and screaming) if your leisure activities are mainly
wandering around the countryside, visiting stately homes, looking at scenery
and general sitting down.
We have a two berth but I'd prefer a four/five berth. Sooner have more
seating/bedspace at each end than a big washroom or end kitchen. More
storage space too.
DaveK.

Old October 10th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

stuart tried to scribble ...

I would never buy a new one, let someone else lose 1000 as they pull
it away from the dealers!!

Totally agree.

the 10 year old should be ok, if you are not sure get someone you
trust ( father) to check it out and make sure that everything is
working before buying.

Totally agree.

you will have things to fix, but it will be
far less trouble and replacement parts much easier to find than for a
old one.

Totally agree, and a ten year old may be easier to find parts for than even
a brand new van - everything seems to change year on year ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx

Old October 10th 03, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| 1. Buy a really cheap caravan 1000
| 2. Buy a caravan from 2500- 3000. Hoping for a pretty good ten year
| old caravan.
| 3. Buy a new caravan. Looking at a Bailey Ranger.

Much depends upon your own DIY skills. 1,000 could be fine, providing
you are prepared to put some time and effort into tidying it up, but do
make sure it is basically sound and dry before purchase. Now is a good
time to buy, dealers will be trying to get rid of stock at bargain
prices rather than keep it for next year. You would have the whole
winter in which to tidy it up.

Also by the sound of it, whatever size van you get now, will need to be
down sized soon anyway. Better to go for one that is a bit of a
compromise in regards to not being big enough, older kids are generally
happy to sleep in a tent or the awning anyway.

I would be inclined to suggest not buying new. You will suffer all the
devaluation of a new purchase, plus perhaps the problem of having
defects sorted out. A van with a few years under its belt, will by that
time be showing all of its more serious defects, providing you have the
expertise to check carefully enough.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 10th 03, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

(
father) to check it out and make sure that everything is working before
buying.

That's what I'd go for. In a year your teenagers won't be coming with you
(or unwillingly kicking and screaming) if your leisure activities are

mainly
wandering around the countryside, visiting stately homes, looking at

scenery
and general sitting down.
We have a two berth but I'd prefer a four/five berth. Sooner have more
seating/bedspace at each end than a big washroom or end kitchen. More
storage space too.
DaveK.

We're not quite at the general sitting down stage yet, but it has been
getting more and more difficult to find suitable activities for everyone.
We tend to go for busier city type caravan club sites- such as York (lots of
cycle paths) and Edinburgh (good base for visiting all the attractions.)

My father bought a new caravan 2 1/2 years ago (Avondale Dart 4 berth) He
also bought a new awning with a bedroom extension- so we have been a bit
spoilt as far as facilities are concerned.

James

Old October 10th 03, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Imber

New is nice, you can get what you want.

Old October 10th 03, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

I agree, I'm almost in the same boat but I'm definitely going to buy new or
not at all, I haven't been at all impressed with the second-hand one's I've
seen, the smell from some has been putrid (dog wee!).
A brand new 2004 Swift Challenger 490L for me, a revolutionary washroom and
still room for 5.
I've got three lads 15,14,and 11, the eldest said he's going on holiday with
his mates, who does he thinks going to pay? Trouble with kids nowadays is
they think all the money for there gear just appears from thin air, there's
a reality check coming I think.

Old October 11th 03, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message
I agree, I'm almost in the same boat but I'm definitely going to buy new

or
not at all, I haven't been at all impressed with the second-hand one's

I've
seen, the smell from some has been putrid (dog wee!).
A brand new 2004 Swift Challenger 490L for me, a revolutionary washroom

and
still room for 5.
I've got three lads 15,14,and 11, the eldest said he's going on holiday

with
his mates, who does he thinks going to pay? Trouble with kids nowadays is
they think all the money for there gear just appears from thin air,

there's
a reality check coming I think.

"Martin Imber" wrote in message
New is nice, you can get what you want.

Our oldest daughter came in the caravan with us last year, but didn't enjoy
it at all- which dampened the holiday for everyone. By mutual agreement she
stayed at home this year. Our son who is 15 seems quite happy to come
along- boys dont seem to grow up quite so quickly!

I've never seen the Swift- from a quick look at their website they dont seem
to have a Scottish agent, which may be why. It also seems quite a bit more
expensive 13,500 compared with the Bailey Ranger at just over 10k. To be
honest almost all our looking has been at secondhand ones and we have seen a
few really nice ones, but many dire ones. The best ones never seem to have
the right layout- or are sold without any extras.

James

Old October 12th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message
I agree, I'm almost in the same boat but I'm definitely going to buy new

or
not at all, I haven't been at all impressed with the second-hand one's

I've
seen, the smell from some has been putrid (dog wee!).
A brand new 2004 Swift Challenger 490L for me, a revolutionary washroom

and
still room for 5.
I've got three lads 15,14,and 11, the eldest said he's going on holiday

with
his mates, who does he thinks going to pay? Trouble with kids nowadays is
they think all the money for there gear just appears from thin air,

there's
a reality check coming I think.

"Martin Imber" wrote in message
New is nice, you can get what you want.

Our Ace Jubilee Globetrotter is the only thing we have ever bought new and
I've no regrets what so ever. We used to have a second hand Eldis a few
years back but new is a far far better holiday experience despite the
depreciation, Caravans just don't tumble the same as Cars do. We made money
on our last Caravan save and kept all the stuff like porta loos cables water
cans etc etc... not that we need them anymore as we got a great deal on our
Jubilee with Awning and starter kit.

The smell make me feel rich! I'm not but it has the desired effect and still
smells "new" unlike second hand vans.

With our first van I spent alot of time on Holidays doing DIY on the van
which were in the main teething problems but I like everything to work as it
should, otherwise whats the point... whats more if you have been spoilt in
the past then a second hand van isn't going to have the same effect really
is it.

The guarantees are worth the depreciation in my eyes.

Lee D