GRP Sidewalls on Abbey caravans

Old October 10th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sandra Blues

Default GRP Sidewalls on Abbey caravans

Can anyone comment on the GRP sidewalls used in the Aventura range of Abbey
caravans? Would be interested to hear how it compares to aluminium.

RB

Old October 10th 03, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

A dealer told me GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) is much better than
aluminium for repairs, you just fill in the damage and smooth it down, you
then even have trouble finding where the damage was originally.
I cant really understand why they don't use it through the whole Swift Group
of caravans.

Old October 12th 03, 05:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Graham" [email protected] wrote in message
It will warp / look rippled .... dont touch it - go for Aluminium.

Graham,

Sounds like your talking about delamination. Aluminium can be damaged
easily and from what I see most of the aluminium panelling on caravans is
rippled from new, whereas Fibre glass sided vans look flat and have a glossy
very slightly textured finish. My van sides have been dented when it went in
for a service it only takes a slight knock to do this if the side had been
Fibreglass my van would still be as good as new.
Mike

Old October 13th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
fred

"Graham" [email protected] wrote in message
It will warp / look rippled .... dont touch it - go for Aluminium.

The flexing of G R P makes them much more liable to leaking.

** FREDDY **

Old October 13th 03, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpson`s

"fred" wrote in message

"Graham" [email protected] wrote in message
It will warp / look rippled .... dont touch it - go for Aluminium.

The flexing of G R P makes them much more liable to leaking.

** FREDDY **

Strange statement....How come my GRP boat but doesn`t leak!

Fred S

Old October 13th 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in
:

A dealer told me GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) is much better
than aluminium for repairs, you just fill in the damage and smooth
it down, you then even have trouble finding where the damage was
originally. I cant really understand why they don't use it through
the whole Swift Group of caravans.

Moulded GRP caravans are still made in the Netherlands.
http://biod.net
http://members.home.nl/l.h.meuldijk/biodbv/english/

--
Regards, Lex
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 14th 03, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"fred" wrote in message

"Graham" [email protected] wrote in message
It will warp / look rippled .... dont touch it - go for Aluminium.

The flexing of G R P makes them much more liable to leaking.

** FREDDY **

Where did you get that from Freddy? Bear in mind GRP is thicker than

aluminium also aluminium ripples look at any van along its side then look at
GRP covered van. Still if you can tell us your source for this info when
what you say will be more believable.
Mike

Old October 14th 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Me

"fred" wrote in message

"Graham" [email protected] wrote in message
It will warp / look rippled .... dont touch it - go for Aluminium.

The flexing of G R P makes them much more liable to leaking.

** FREDDY **

Well most pleasure boats have been made from GRP for decades now, and it is
very rare to get any water ingress via body seams or seals, I have recently
arrived on the caravan 'scene' after a number of years boating and am
frankly surpsised by the construction methods used by caravan manufacturers.
My (GRP) boat is 24 years old, still has its original gelcoat finish and has
no damp or leaks.

Old October 14th 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Me" wrote in message

Well most pleasure boats have been made from GRP for decades now, and it

is
very rare to get any water ingress via body seams or seals, I have

recently
arrived on the caravan 'scene' after a number of years boating and am
frankly surpsised by the construction methods used by caravan

manufacturers.
My (GRP) boat is 24 years old, still has its original gelcoat finish and

has
no damp or leaks.

Lex is your man I think he will agree with you.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports