Sugestions for large, but very strong tents

Old August 9th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

Default Sugestions for large, but very strong tents

Hi all,

Just got back from 2 weeks on Uists. Windy as usual......

Took my Robens Triple Dreamer tent for the 3 ofus to give us plenty of spec
if the weather was bad....it was not, but had its moments!

So the tent was OK...but only just. I am used to the performance of my TNF
VE-25 and know a large tent is not going to be anywhere near as stable, but
a pole (aluminium) got bent....beyond repair.
It was pretty cold too, having no mudwall around the edges. A couple of
tents fared much worse.
Anyone have a suggestion for a more stable large tent? I would prefer a
tunnel as I find the large domes difficult to put up ( too short).

Thanks

Julie

Old August 10th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"Julie Meikle" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just got back from 2 weeks on Uists. Windy as usual......

Took my Robens Triple Dreamer tent for the 3 ofus to give us plenty of

spec
if the weather was bad....it was not, but had its moments!

So the tent was OK...but only just. I am used to the performance of my TNF
VE-25 and know a large tent is not going to be anywhere near as stable,

but
a pole (aluminium) got bent....beyond repair.
It was pretty cold too, having no mudwall around the edges. A couple of
tents fared much worse.
Anyone have a suggestion for a more stable large tent? I would prefer a
tunnel as I find the large domes difficult to put up ( too short).

I used to have a large Kyham Dome, that once pegged out was very stable.
Recently had a tunnel awning for my VW Camper, which used to really move
around in the wind. Would have thought that a dome by design would be more
stable than a tunnel in wind.

Old August 10th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

"Andy Vines" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Andy.

I have always thought that dome must be stronger than tunnel, but large ones
are a bugger to put up if you are 5'3"!
The Khyam on the site was bending alarmingly!! But they generally are pretty
strong I believe.

Incidentally I did not see my message come up, only Andy's reply....any
ideas why this happens?

Julie

Old August 10th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris Eilbeck

"Julie Meikle" writes:

I have always thought that dome must be stronger than tunnel, but
large ones are a bugger to put up if you are 5'3"! The Khyam on the
site was bending alarmingly!! But they generally are pretty strong I
believe.

I'd have thought that you shouldn't really have to reach up high to
put a dome tent up, just slide the poles through the sleeves and push
into the tabs at the bottom. I guess it depends on the design of the
tent but I can't see why a dome is inherently more difficult for a
shorter person than a tunnel tent.

Or is the problem more getting the flysheet over the structure?

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

Old August 10th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

Or is the problem more getting the flysheet over the structure?

Chris
--

That's just it.....very unwieldy.

Julie

Old August 10th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Julie Meikle

............in fact I may go for :

1. the proper mountain tent for me & daughter in winter/autumn
2. one person tent when it is just me on quick trips when weight is a factor
or as an extra when child brings friend (for a giggle free sleep!)
3. Big Robens for "valley" summer camps
4. buy a new larger vestibuled tent eg hillegerg ?gt 4 or vango equinox or
suchlike......

am I obesessed or what?

Julie