Any experience mounting 12-volt camping battery

Old August 10th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Que

Default Any experience mounting 12-volt camping battery

I'd like to mount a 12-volt battery, probably in the truck of my car, for
powering 12-volt lights/fans/etc. in my tent. I'd use an isolator between
the generator and auxiliary battery to allow charging of both batteries but
prevent lights/fans/etc. from drawing power from the car battery. The
problem is that especially during charging batteries vent toxic gases and
fumes could pass from the trunk into the passenger area (for instance I can
smell pizza in the passenger area when I place it in the trunk). According
to the local RV shop containers for batteries exist that will vent gases to
the outside of the car, but I've never seen any and they don't sell them.

Another approach I've considered is installing a hitch and placing the
battery in a box that would be mounted to a hitch platform. Venting would
not be a problem but I would be wasting the weight capacity of hitch
platform. The car will only accept class one hitches that carry 200 pounds
and with the platform at 50 and battery at least at 50 I'm left with only
100 pounds of capacity on the platform for large but light objects such as
box fans, pillows, and sleeping bags.

Any experiences with either option? TIA.