car fridges

Old August 15th 04, 06:15 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
trowbridgefolk

Default car fridges

Has anyone used car fridges i,e, those that are powered by the cigar
lighter.I have just bought one and want to use it next week but wondered how
long you can keep them running without flattening the car battery
tia martyn

Old August 15th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
David klyne

"trowbridgefolk" wrote in message
Has anyone used car fridges i,e, those that are powered by the cigar
lighter.I have just bought one and want to use it next week but wondered

how
long you can keep them running without flattening the car battery
tia

Martyn

I would imagine they are only designed to work when the engine is running.
Can you use your ciggy lighter with the ignition off? I have just purchased
a Halfords model to supplement the fridge in the van, tried it of mains and
found it very effective. Not had a chance to use it in the car yet.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old August 15th 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony Mc Donnell[_2_]

"trowbridgefolk" wrote in message
Has anyone used car fridges i,e, those that are powered by the cigar
lighter.I have just bought one and want to use it next week but wondered

how
long you can keep them running without flattening the car battery
tia martyn

I've got exactly the same thing and was worried about flattening the car

battery, as I use it when camping. I got one of those car start thingies -
with the built in jump leads from Argos that has a built in cigarette
socket. I run the fridge from that when the car is parked. Hope this helps.
Tony

Old August 16th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen Glynn

"trowbridgefolk" wrote in message
Has anyone used car fridges i,e, those that are powered by the cigar
lighter.I have just bought one and want to use it next week but wondered

how
long you can keep them running without flattening the car battery
tia martyn

My Camping Gaz coolbox has a special feature on it where if the car battery
voltage drops below 11.5 volts it automatically swithes off.

---

Old August 19th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:15:17 +0100, "trowbridgefolk"
wrote:

Has anyone used car fridges i,e, those that are powered by the cigar
lighter.I have just bought one and want to use it next week but wondered how
long you can keep them running without flattening the car battery
tia martyn

I bought a Waeco Coolmatic CF18 a couple of years back and IMO it's
the bee's knees!

It has a temperature control which allows setting the internal
temperature to anything between 5C and -18C.

Current drain is a measured 3.5 Amps BUT it only draws current when it
needs to drop the internal temperature. This is dependent upon
ambient temperature, and the fridge setting. In practice this equates
to about 1.5 minutes running in every 15 minutes for a setting of 5C,
in an ambient temperature of 20C(These are measurements I took when I
first bought the fridge).

It has 2 settings of low battery cut-out, I use the higher one for a
starter battery, and the lower one for a leisure battery.

We use this fridge a lot, and not just for camping. It is strapped
into the Landrover and is used when buying cold or frozen food from
the supermarkets etc.

I've got a small supplementary leisure battery in my Landy connected
via a split charge set-up, and this will run the fridge for over 4
days without starting the engine. Once the engine has been run for an
outing, the leisure battery is sufficiently recharged to keep the
fridge going again for several days unaided.

I also have a Peltier type cool box, it was thrown in as an extra with
something else we purchased. It works quite well, BUT the current
draw is 4 Amps continuous, and the waste heat it blows out is
unbearable in a closed vehicle in summer! Consequently we don't use
this box, and are not likely to, unless it's to keep something hot!

HTH

Neil

Old August 19th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
R Taylor

wrote:

[...]

Top Answer ! and what Usenet is all about, imo

RT