Lighting gas stove in the wind

Old August 15th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Lobster

Default Lighting gas stove in the wind

Newbie camper here...

We have a camping gaz stove which is a b*gger to light when it's windy -
after two days under canvas in Derbyshire recently, SWMBO and I both came
back with burnt fingertips (from repeatedly inverting a cigarette lighter
over the burners) and minus about 10 boxes of matches.

Apart from moving the stove into the tent when it's windy, which we don't
want to do, what's the secret - what are we missing here?!!?

I'd thought of buying one of those piezoelectric lighters which you used to
be able to get readily for home use, before all gas cookers were supplied
with built-in igniters, but I can't seem to find one now. Any tips, before
we go away again on Wednesday...?!

Thanks

Old August 15th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
King Queen

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:14:42 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

Apart from moving the stove into the tent when it's windy, which we don't
want to do, what's the secret - what are we missing here?!!?

It has to be the tent porch! I don't have a footprint groundsheet so
though I have a bucket groundsheet / inner tent, the porch is just the
wet grass and is quite large - safe enough to put the stove in I
think, especially as I put it on a large buscuit tin for stability -
and it keeps the stove out of the breeze.

Apparently you can get stoves with special windbreaks on them.

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk

Old August 15th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Judith

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:48:24 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

Though if
a windbreak is the answer I'm sure I can knock up something suitable
somehow!

I'm almost certain that a windbreak is the answer. I'm assuming
you're not backpacking (with a two burner stove) so you should have
room in the car for a reasonable windbreak. Just three pieces of
hardboard taped together so that they stand up will do the job if
you're in a rush. I'm assuming that your stove is rectangular, so
aim to make something that shelters three sides and you should make
things a lot easier.

Waves to Fran Hi Fran. Welcome back .... but when are you going to
catch up with the other groups? You can't just hope that the 30,000
unread posts go away, you know!

Judith