Lighting gas stove in the wind

Old August 15th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Lobster

Default Lighting gas stove in the wind

Newbie camper here...

We have a camping gaz stove which is a b*gger to light when it's windy -
after two days under canvas in Derbyshire recently, SWMBO and I both came
back with burnt fingertips (from repeatedly inverting a cigarette lighter
over the burners) and minus about 10 boxes of matches.

Apart from moving the stove into the tent when it's windy, which we don't
want to do, what's the secret - what are we missing here?!!?

I'd thought of buying one of those piezoelectric lighters which you used to
be able to get readily for home use, before all gas cookers were supplied
with built-in igniters, but I can't seem to find one now. Any tips, before
we go away again on Wednesday...?!

Thanks