SWMBO's car fridge melts its connector...

Old August 15th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.cars.misc
Fran

Default SWMBO's car fridge melts its connector...

said...
the "cigarette lighter" socket [1] thoughtfully
provided in the boot,

Eh? In the *boot*?? You have a cigarette lighter in the BOOT???
Whatever for? Do many of your supermarket purchases[1] request
permission to smoke?

Puzzled, of Wales.

[1] Well, that's mainly what I use my boot for...
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old August 15th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.cars.misc
Lobster

She's only gone and bought one of those mini-fridges which you stick in the
boot, hasn't she..? Sheesh. Anyway, we took the thing with us on a recent
camping trip, plugged into the "cigarette lighter" socket [1] thoughtfully
provided in the boot, and when we got home, found that the plug had
overheated and basically melted. Bit concerned as to why this happened
(especially as the socket is inches away from the fuel tank). I checked the
rating of the fridge and the max rated output of the car socket, as provided
by the mfr, and it was fine (I forget what the figures were; something like
50W and 100W respectively?).

I'm thinking the electrical connection may not have been great, and that
sparking caused the problem; is that all it's likely to be (in which case I
can just replace the plug and try again - carefully). Or something else?
Any diagnostic tests I can try first? The fridge works fine in 240V mode,
by the way.

Thanks
David

[1] Why is it that the car cigarette lighter has by default defined the
international standard for low voltage appliances intended to be powered
from a car battery? Nobody smokes any more, yet these appalling sockets are
found on every car (and now in the boot as well, for heaven's sake) - why
don't the manufacturers agree on a compact, robust socket/plug system which
would do the job far better? There are plenty already in existence that
would work fine. Whinge over!

Old August 15th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.cars.misc
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

as you have found, cigar lighter plugs are usually dire, and high resistance
which leads to heating and subsequent meltage!

Get a proper low voltage panel mount socket and matching plug and install in
the boot especially for the fridge.

Not exactly for such a purpose, but I've used these XLR's for low voltage
use afew times- obviously in an envoironment where they wont be confused for
anything else. They are rated at 16amps:

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/categ...+Catalogue&cat
egory%5Fname=Audio+Video+%2D+Connectors+%2D+Audio% 2C+Video+and+RF+%2D+XLR&Pa
ge=1

Tim..

Old August 15th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.cars.misc
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:59:59 +0000 (UTC), Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. wrote:

Not exactly for such a purpose, but I've used these XLR's for low
voltage use afew times- obviously in an envoironment where they wont
be confused for anything else. They are rated at 16amps:

Can't be bothered to unwind that URL(*) but there is a "standard" for
using 4 pin XLRs and 12v DC. Extremly common on broadcast circles.

(*) Hint, try http://makeashorterlink.com

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old August 15th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Lobster

"drew" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
[...]

I suffered exactly the same problem first time out with our mini fridge,
the connector melted to such an extent that the pin in the end fell out
when I removed the plug, the pin shorted out the contacts in the socket
and blew the fuse in the car!
I simply replaced the el-cheapo connector with a better quality fused
plug from a car accessory shop (just a couple of quid and 5 minutes with
a soldering iron) I have done several trips with the new plug and no
sign of melting.

Thanks Drew, that's good to know... I'll be on the case tomorrow!