|If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.|
|UK Camping (uk.rec.camping)|
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
SWMBO's car fridge melts its connector...
She's only gone and bought one of those mini-fridges which you stick in the
boot, hasn't she..? Sheesh. Anyway, we took the thing with us on a recent
camping trip, plugged into the "cigarette lighter" socket  thoughtfully
provided in the boot, and when we got home, found that the plug had
overheated and basically melted. Bit concerned as to why this happened
(especially as the socket is inches away from the fuel tank). I checked the
rating of the fridge and the max rated output of the car socket, as provided
by the mfr, and it was fine (I forget what the figures were; something like
50W and 100W respectively?).
I'm thinking the electrical connection may not have been great, and that
sparking caused the problem; is that all it's likely to be (in which case I
can just replace the plug and try again - carefully). Or something else?
Any diagnostic tests I can try first? The fridge works fine in 240V mode,
by the way.
 Why is it that the car cigarette lighter has by default defined the
international standard for low voltage appliances intended to be powered
from a car battery? Nobody smokes any more, yet these appalling sockets are
found on every car (and now in the boot as well, for heaven's sake) - why
don't the manufacturers agree on a compact, robust socket/plug system which
would do the job far better? There are plenty already in existence that
would work fine. Whinge over!