sewing waxed material

Old August 16th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Guest

Default sewing waxed material

Looks like we in the UK are stuck in monsoon whether mode. I got some waxed
material, a bit like Barber jacket material, cheap of our market, and have
an idea to make an overnight bivvybag, sort of thing out of it. Lined with
sheet cloth. I have looked on the net and have seen a few ideas I might use
bits from, but haven't found much about actual construction.
I have a sewing machine that sews this stuff okay.
I want to make proper waterproof seams, and also a bit of info on the thread
to use with this wax material (its more like waxy nylon than cotton)
links to any sites with the info very appreciated thanks. DP

Old August 16th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article , wrote

Looks like we in the UK are stuck in monsoon whether mode. I got some waxed
material, a bit like Barber jacket material, cheap of our market, and have
an idea to make an overnight bivvybag, sort of thing out of it. Lined with
sheet cloth. I have looked on the net and have seen a few ideas I might use
bits from, but haven't found much about actual construction.
I have a sewing machine that sews this stuff okay.
I want to make proper waterproof seams, and also a bit of info on the thread
to use with this wax material (its more like waxy nylon than cotton)
links to any sites with the info very appreciated thanks. DP

Novel Idea - however I am at a bit of a loss to understand why
you would bother.

A] Too heavy for practical purposes - unless you opperate out
of a car in which case, why not use a tent of some kind?
b] You can get purpose built items cheap enough.

If you want to go the whole hog then use waxed cotton however,
if you use a design with the minimum seam requirement and ensure
the seams that are necessary a

c] Fold down
d] On a down side
e] less than 1/3rd up from the ground

then you should manage ok. For the foot use a 'parcel fold' with
the stitched seams inside.

Waxed cotton relies on inherrent waterproof integrity rather than
internal vapour expanding the weave to achieve integrity. Though
waterproof with no body in it [advantages] there is a poor egress
of condensation and moisture when occupied. Unless it is vented by
some other means.

Old August 16th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Judith

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:44:59 +0100, "GrAnnie" wrote:

Is there anything here?
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Please stop me looking at that website! I'm already a gear freak
...... and I really don't want to become a make-it-yourself gear freak!

Judith