Electrolux Fridge

Old October 11th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Electrolux Fridge

I have been trying to light my Electrolux Fridge RM212A but not sure if i am
doing this correctly or how to tell if fridge is alight any advice would be
appreciated

--
Steve
www.geocities.com/norfolk_triker

Old October 11th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Steve" wrote in message
I have been trying to light my Electrolux Fridge RM212A but not sure if i

am
doing this correctly or how to tell if fridge is alight any advice would

be
appreciated

Bleed the system first to get rid of the air, do this by turning on a gas
ring and holding a lighter to it til it lights. Then turn the fridge gas
setting to highest (3?), hold the knob in for about 10 seconds then keep
pressing the red button til it lights. The flame can be a bit dim so shield
it from the light til you get used to what to look for. Once it's lit keep
the gas knob held in for about 20 seconds then let go, the flame should stay
alight.

Rgds

Andy R

Old October 11th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
|Bleed the system first to get rid of the air, do this by turning on a gas
|ring and holding a lighter to it til it lights. Then turn the fridge gas
|setting to highest (3?), hold the knob in for about 10 seconds then keep
|pressing the red button til it lights. The flame can be a bit dim so shield
|it from the light til you get used to what to look for. Once it's lit keep
|the gas knob held in for about 20 seconds then let go, the flame should stay
|alight.

A well thought out list of suggestions there, especially the one to
ensure the air is bled out first. I used to waste lots of time trying
unsuccessfully to light up my fridge on first arrival on a site, with
the pipes full of air. Bleeding the pipes out first saves a lot of
frustrated effort.

When lit, it can still be difficult to see the blue flame especially in
daylight, but usually a little warmth will soon appear around the flue
exit to the outside of the caravan if it is lit. Another way is to
simply knock the fridge so that a little soot or debris falls into the
flame, which will then glow yellow as the particles burn off, proving it
is lit.

Harry (M1BYT)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 12th 03, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Ensure gas supply tap is turned on (usually with the taps for oven and hob).
Turn on the fridge in gas position wait a few moments for air to clear the pipe,
press the igniter or switch the igniter switch on whilst holding gas regulator
in, whichever method you have. If you do not see a pilot flame in the bottom
left-hand corner (small sighting window) press igniter switch repeatedly until
you do. If you have the automatic igniter just keep the knob pressed in until
you see the pilot flame. Keep the knob pressed in for about 15 seconds then when
you release the knob the flame should have started.

Some caravan manufacturers give a handbook for their vans with the caravan when
first purchased. I am lucky in that the handbook was still with the caravan when
I purchased about three owners along. This has almost everything you need to
know about your caravan to make your association a happy one.

Cheers, Peter.

"Steve" wrote in message
: I have been trying to light my Electrolux Fridge RM212A but not sure if i am
: doing this correctly or how to tell if fridge is alight any advice would be
: appreciated
:
: --

Old October 12th 03, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:20:52 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Milnes"
wrote:

| Ensure gas supply tap is turned on (usually with the taps for oven and hob).
| Turn on the fridge in gas position wait a few moments for air to clear the pipe,
| press the igniter or switch the igniter switch on whilst holding gas regulator
| in, whichever method you have. If you do not see a pilot flame in the bottom
| left-hand corner (small sighting window) press igniter switch repeatedly until
| you do. If you have the automatic igniter just keep the knob pressed in until
| you see the pilot flame. Keep the knob pressed in for about 15 seconds then when
| you release the knob the flame should have started.
|
| Some caravan manufacturers give a handbook for their vans with the caravan when
| first purchased. I am lucky in that the handbook was still with the caravan when
| I purchased about three owners along. This has almost everything you need to
| know about your caravan to make your association a happy one.

Keep on trying. Mine takes 20+ pushes of the ignitor before it lights,
especially after the gas has been turned off for a week or so :-(

Sick and tired of Junk Mail? Register your family
surname and address with www.mpsonline.org.uk

Old October 12th 03, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

The problem is i can't find anywhere you can see the flame there does'nt
seem to be any opening to see wheter it is alight

Old October 12th 03, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| The problem is i can't find anywhere you can see the flame there does'nt
| seem to be any opening to see wheter it is alight

I'm spoiled, my fridge has a little window where you can see the flame
by simply opening the fridge door, but I have struggled with the same
model fridge as you have.

So in addition to my previous suggestions..... warm flue + thumping the
fridge to see the debris sparkle in the flame, I will suggest that you
might just about be able to hear the gas flowing through the regulator.

Make sure everything except the fridge is turned off, stick your ear to
the gas regulator and you might just about be able to hear the flow of
gas to the fridge through the regulator.

If you are looking for an higher tech solution and don't mind pulling
the fridge out in addition to which you have a digital test meter.....

Buy a cheap K type thermocouple, anything will do but the smaller the
tip the better, the simple open wire ended type is perfect. Fix the
thermocouple junction so that the flame will play upon it. Connect the
leads of the thermocouple to your meter and set it on the lowest
resistance ohms range. Its resistance will increase slightly when the
junction is heated up by the flame of the fridge. Just connect the
meter to the thermocouple while you are struggling to light the fridge
up.

You should be able to check its operation before installing it, by
connecting it to your meter and playing the flame of a gas lighter upon
it. Instead of the resistance range, you could equally well use the
milliampere range of the meter..... Experiment!

All a thermocouple is, is a welded junction of two wires made from
wires of dissimilar metals. Heat the junction up and it will produce a
current output. They cost 2 to 6 each.

You might even try experimenting in making a thermocouple. Put a tight
twist in the end of a bit of copper and steel wire, put the end of this
in a flame and see what current this junction produces.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 12th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

As I stated in my message there should be a small round clear window in the
bottom left hand corner INSIDE the fridge.

Cheers, Peter.

"Steve" wrote in message
: The problem is i can't find anywhere you can see the flame there does'nt
: seem to be any opening to see wheter it is alight
snipped

Old October 13th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

managed to light it today thanks for all your advice

Old October 13th 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Found the window now thanks i thought it was just a drainage plug can see
the blue flame through it now thanks for your advice