repairing a hole in a groundsheet

Old August 24th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
davek

Default repairing a hole in a groundsheet

Hello, does anyone have any useful tips on repairing a hole in a
groundsheet, please?

I bought a 'groundsheet repair kit' from a local camping supplies shop
but the glue doesn't bond - it seems to be some kind of rubber cement
such as I'd use for repairing a puncture on my bike, which is not
appropriate in this instance. I've just looked up the tent's specs[1] on
the web and the groundsheet material is described as "Polyethylene
F/R-PE". I guess it's a question of finding the right type of glue for
the job.

Unfortunately, replacing the groundsheet is not an option as it's an
integral part of the tent inner.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

d.

1.It's a Vango Venture 500, btw
Old August 24th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
David Graham

"davek" wrote in message
Hello, does anyone have any useful tips on repairing a hole in a
groundsheet, please?

I bought a 'groundsheet repair kit' from a local camping supplies shop
but the glue doesn't bond - it seems to be some kind of rubber cement
such as I'd use for repairing a puncture on my bike, which is not
appropriate in this instance. I've just looked up the tent's specs[1] on
the web and the groundsheet material is described as "Polyethylene
F/R-PE". I guess it's a question of finding the right type of glue for
the job.

Unfortunately, replacing the groundsheet is not an option as it's an
integral part of the tent inner.

Any impact adhesive like Bostick should do the job
Paula

Old August 24th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Mike

"David Graham" wrote in message

"davek" wrote in message
Hello, does anyone have any useful tips on repairing a hole in a
groundsheet, please?

I've just looked up the tent's specs[1] on
the web and the groundsheet material is described as "Polyethylene
F/R-PE". I guess it's a question of finding the right type of glue for
the job.

Any impact adhesive like Bostick should do the job
Paula

My tip would be, when you've got an adhesive that works OK, put a patch on
both sides of the groundsheet covering the hole. That way, even if the
moisture eventually penetrates the underside seal it shouldn't come through
the second patch into the tent. Also, it will strengthen the area around the
rip and minimise the risk of it getting snagged.

Mike
www.barebeaches.com

Old August 25th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"davek" wrote in message
Hello, does anyone have any useful tips on repairing a hole in a
groundsheet, please?

I bought a 'groundsheet repair kit' from a local camping supplies shop
but the glue doesn't bond - it seems to be some kind of rubber cement
such as I'd use for repairing a puncture on my bike, which is not
appropriate in this instance. I've just looked up the tent's specs[1] on
the web and the groundsheet material is described as "Polyethylene
F/R-PE". I guess it's a question of finding the right type of glue for
the job.

Unfortunately, replacing the groundsheet is not an option as it's an
integral part of the tent inner.

Done mine in the past with Evostik, applying it correctly and allowing it to
dry etc. before applying the patch.

Alternatively, Duck tape both sides.

Old August 28th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:51:10 +0100, davek wrote:

Hello, does anyone have any useful tips on repairing a hole in a
groundsheet, please?

I bought a 'groundsheet repair kit' from a local camping supplies shop
but the glue doesn't bond - it seems to be some kind of rubber cement
such as I'd use for repairing a puncture on my bike, which is not
appropriate in this instance. I've just looked up the tent's specs[1] on
the web and the groundsheet material is described as "Polyethylene
F/R-PE". I guess it's a question of finding the right type of glue for
the job.

Unfortunately, replacing the groundsheet is not an option as it's an
integral part of the tent inner.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

d.

1.It's a Vango Venture 500, btw

I have successfully repaired holes in woven polyethylene groundsheets,
nylon and polyester fly sheets with McNetts SeamGrip. It's the best
stuff I've come across for repairs in any synthetic tent fabric. It's
also very good for sealing seams. It's only downfall is that unless
you mix an accelerator with it, it takes over 12 hours to cure!

BUT...The secret with this, and indeed all repair adhesives is
PREPARATION.

The fabric to be repaired MUST be completely clean and grease free, or
it will not adhere!

HTH

Neil