what do you take for 3 day wild camping ?

Old August 28th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

Default what do you take for 3 day wild camping ?

I usually go on trips (alone or sometimes 2 of us)over wild rugged areas for
about 20 -40KM and take the following items;

1= tent
2= sleeping bag/mat
3= proper clothing/footwear
4= rucksack
5= stove/lighting
6= gps/map/compass/mobile phone & batteries/radio
7= food rations/water
8= practical medical supplies

What else do you take?
Interested in anyone else's list of items they take along?
I take a book !!! & usually a "luxury" item... + things I usually never use
and always take along!..(e.g.) hex stove in case the trianga goes
wrong........ flint lighter although I have 3 cigarette lighters with me !

I always file an "emergency plan" this includes a rough idea of the route I
intend taking and an ETA of when I will be back..... with instructions if I
am not back to send out a search party.!... I always telephone before the
time is up and inform the person that all is OK (usually my parents or
wife).
Am I being paranoid?
Anyone else do anything similar...

Old August 28th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook[_3_]

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:02:44 +0100, JK wrote:

I usually go on trips (alone or sometimes 2 of us)over wild rugged areas for
about 20 -40KM and take the following items;

1= tent
2= sleeping bag/mat
3= proper clothing/footwear
4= rucksack
5= stove/lighting
6= gps/map/compass/mobile phone & batteries/radio
7= food rations/water

I carry the minimum amount of water I can get by with, usually one
litre or less. Choosing camp sites with a good supply nearby helps.
For cutlery just a spoon and my Opinel folding knife.

8= practical medical supplies

What else do you take?

Camera(s)[1] plus a lightweight tripod.

Interested in anyone else's list of items they take along?
I take a book !!! & usually a "luxury" item...

In winter for the long nights in the tent I might take a book or some
tunes on my minidisc player. The map is usually a mighty good read.

+ things I usually never use
and always take along!..(e.g.) hex stove in case the trianga goes
wrong........

What exactly do you expect to go wrong on a trangia!!!

flint lighter although I have 3 cigarette lighters with me !

Two ciggie lighters or one plus the flint. I know they weigh next to
bugger all but it's the little bits that add up.

I always file an "emergency plan" this includes a rough idea of the route I
intend taking and an ETA of when I will be back..... with instructions if I
am not back to send out a search party.!... I always telephone before the
time is up and inform the person that all is OK (usually my parents or
wife).

Since it's just me at home I tend to just wander off. I leave tricky
bits of mountaineering for single day jaunts.

[1] I used to carry one SLR with two lenses then it was the SLR and a
point and shoot digital for snaps now it is just the one 8 Mpix
digital.

Old August 29th 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
steve Wilcox[_2_]

A mini TV and a pack of playing cards . . . .

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

Old August 29th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
richard baker

What time of year are you going, winter will change everything. Why take a
hexi in case the Trangia goes wrong; Trangias don't go wrong unless you
loose them or run out of meths.

Rik

Old August 29th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB

wrote:

I usually go on trips (alone or sometimes 2 of us)over wild rugged areas for
about 20 -40KM and take the following items;

1= tent
2= sleeping bag/mat
3= proper clothing/footwear
4= rucksack
5= stove/lighting
6= gps/map/compass/mobile phone & batteries/radio
7= food rations/water
8= practical medical supplies

(Petzl) Headtorch. Swiss army knife.

Regards
KGB

Old August 29th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

wrote:

I usually go on trips (alone or sometimes 2 of us)over wild rugged areas for
about 20 -40KM and take the following items;

1= tent
2= sleeping bag/mat
3= proper clothing/footwear
4= rucksack
5= stove/lighting
6= gps/map/compass/mobile phone & batteries/radio
7= food rations/water
8= practical medical supplies

(Petzl) Headtorch. Swiss army knife.

Regards
KGB

I take the following

A sleeping bag
Goretex Bivvy Bag
rucksack
wind up radio/torch
Water (and collapsible container)
Emergency food (usually catch/gather my own food)
don't take a stove, make my own small fire just for cooking on
small medical kit
change of clothes