Kettle for Trangia

Old September 2nd 04, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

Default Kettle for Trangia

Whilst camping in Norfolk last weekend I treated myself to an ex Swiss army
Trangia. Very impressed with it I am too, it'll come in handy for heating
up food when I'm out laning, etc.

While it's not really necessary I was wondering if there was ever a kettle
made to suit these sets. If there was were can I get one?

Also has anyone got any tips for working out what it is made from? I've
read on the 'net that most are aluminium but that stainless ones were made.
I'm fairly sure that mine is stainless judging by the weight, it just doesn't
feel like aluminium. It's non magnetic but that doesn't really help as I
think some stainless is non magnetic like ally.

Ta.

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old September 2nd 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Simon Barr
writes

Whilst camping in Norfolk last weekend I treated myself to an ex Swiss army
Trangia. Very impressed with it I am too, it'll come in handy for heating
up food when I'm out laning, etc.

While it's not really necessary I was wondering if there was ever a kettle
made to suit these sets. If there was were can I get one?

Assuming that the ex army ones are the same as the standard Trangia
stoves, then yes, easily available form most camping stores.

Also has anyone got any tips for working out what it is made from? I've
read on the 'net that most are aluminium but that stainless ones were made.
I'm fairly sure that mine is stainless judging by the weight, it just doesn't
feel like aluminium. It's non magnetic but that doesn't really help as I
think some stainless is non magnetic like ally.

Most stainless steel is magnetic.

Aluminium oxidises easily in air - leaving the common flat dull grey
colour, I would expect stainless ones to still be reasonably shiny
(though scratched). If you remove the oxide coating from Aluminium,
scratching, wire wool etc. then leave it it will oxidise over and loose
it's shininess - stainless would stay shiney
--
Chris French

Old September 2nd 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan

Aluminium is considerably lighter than steel (mass per volume) and
significantly softer.

"chris French" wrote in message
: In message , Simon Barr
: writes
:
[...]
: --
: Chris French
:

Old September 2nd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris 159

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:45:36 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Most stainless steel is magnetic.

not true

seconded.

infact i dont think any stainless is magnetic

Old September 2nd 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Chris 159

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Simon Barr
writes

Whilst camping in Norfolk last weekend I treated myself to an ex Swiss

army
Trangia. Very impressed with it I am too, it'll come in handy for

heating
up food when I'm out laning, etc.

While it's not really necessary I was wondering if there was ever a

kettle
made to suit these sets. If there was were can I get one?

Assuming that the ex army ones are the same as the standard Trangia
stoves, then yes, easily available form most camping stores.

they're not
well mine isnt anyway. the swiss army ones are oval shaped whereas the
standard are round. arent they ?

Old September 2nd 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan

BG42 and VG10 are both stainless and magnetic. Magnetic properties depend on
the heat treatment involved. There aren't any hard and fast rules. And some
non-magnetic steels become magnetic over time. So don't assume or make
generalised statements!

"Chris 159" wrote in message
:
: "martin" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:45:36 +0100, chris French
: wrote:
:
: