Coleman dual fuel stove..

Old September 5th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Peter Watts

Default Coleman dual fuel stove..

Hi,
Would appreciate any ideas you may have about a problem I have with a
Coleman dual fuel stove. I bought it many years ago and never really used
it. Now having a young family we are looking at doing some camping again and
it come out of retirement. I spent a frustrating afternoon this week trying
to get it to light but to no avail. As far as I can tell its losing pressure
(and fuel) out of the very top of the main tank, where it meets the very
bottom of the burner. I've taken it to pieces and tried to polish the two
surfaces with fine sandpaper, tighten it down again but its still losing
pressure. As a result you can get it to light after pumping it up but within
a few seconds the pressure drop, the fual stop being supplied and it goes
out again. All the comments I have read on the net speak very favourably
about these things...this is clearly a one man stove and I'm not him!
Has anyone had any similar experiences...thoughts suggestions etc...right
now its next stop is the local tip...
Thanks in advance..
Pete
Derbys

Old September 5th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Darren G

In article ,
says...
[...]

Not familiar with the stove, but as it has ben unused for a long time
are you sure there wasn't an O ring on the join which has perished (or
just fallen out)?

--
Darren

Old September 12th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Glyndwr

Hi,

I have a similar stove that works fine and also an old primus No 5 Stove
that I had a problem with similar to yours. As you say you are losing
pressure. You say you know where it is coming out At that point there should
be some sort of seal, washer or O ring. I have looked on the internet for a
diagram but to no avail. Coleman have a website at
http://www.coleman-eur.com/ where you can find a phone number for the
Bristol office. Don't e-mail, in my experience they never reply, or answer
messages left on voice mail so go straight through to Sales.

If I were you I would explore the possibility of a seal being missing. It
may need to be heat resistant - something like a fibre washer may do it.

If Coleman's people won't help it may be worth asking a question in the
forum on http://www.spiritburner.com/. This site deals mostly with older
stoves but someone will point you towards a solution.

The obvious solution would be to disassemble a working model to check to see
if there is a seal missing. You may find a manager or owner of a camping
shop willing to help or at least share knowledge.

Hope this helps. I did look for some on-line articles but failed to come up
with anything that would point to the matter in hand.

All the best Glyndwr

Old September 18th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Peter Watts

Hope this helps. I did look for some on-line articles but failed to come

up
with anything that would point to the matter in hand.

All the best Glyndwr

Hi,
Thanks for your comments and research....I suspect you are right that a
o-ring of some sort is missing or may fix the problem. I have had a brief
look at others on the shelves in local camping stores but cannot really see
a seal as such...I will contact the site you suggest and see what they can
come up with.
Appreciate the help.
Regards
Pete