Question from ignorant newbie

Old September 10th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

Default Question from ignorant newbie

In article , Norman Tulloch wrote:

Clearly one wouldn't leave any valuables in the tent, but would it be
reasonably safe to leave the tent pitched for a few days and to go
away and do something else during the day? (I'm thinking of staying
on one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites and I'll be
travelling by car.)

I've never known of any thefts from tents in all the years I've been
camping (about 9). You just leave your tent pitched without valuables
in it like you say. I always bring the stove inside the tent when we
go out for the day but plenty of people leave theirs out.

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old September 10th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Norman Tulloch

I've never used an organised campsite before, but I've recently bought
a Vango Equinox 350 and I'm proposing to go away with it for a few
days in October.

Question: if you're intending to stay on the same site for three or
four days but plan to leave the site during the day to go walking or
whatever, is it usual to just leave the tent pitched for that time?
Or would most people pitch the tent each evening and then unpitch the
tent (or strike camp, or whatever the expression is) each morning?

Clearly one wouldn't leave any valuables in the tent, but would it be
reasonably safe to leave the tent pitched for a few days and to go
away and do something else during the day? (I'm thinking of staying
on one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites and I'll be
travelling by car.)

Sorry if the above is a daft question, but I'll be grateful for
advice.

Norman Tulloch

Old September 10th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Steve Brassett

"Simon Barr" wrote in message
In article , Norman
Tulloch wrote:

Clearly one wouldn't leave any valuables in the tent, but would it
be
reasonably safe to leave the tent pitched for a few days and to go
away and do something else during the day? (I'm thinking of
staying
on one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites and I'll be
travelling by car.)

I've never known of any thefts from tents in all the years I've been
camping (about 9). You just leave your tent pitched without
valuables
in it like you say. I always bring the stove inside the tent when
we
go out for the day but plenty of people leave theirs out.

I agree - I've been camping for over 20 years and have never had
anything
stolen. Surprising when you consider how easy it would be. I do
leave
valuables locked in the car though.

--
Steve Brassett

Old September 10th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Judith

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:40:52 +0100, Norman Tulloch
wrote:

Question: if you're intending to stay on the same site for three or
four days but plan to leave the site during the day to go walking or
whatever, is it usual to just leave the tent pitched for that time?

Yes, this is usual. When I use campsites, I leave my tent pitched but
don't leave anything too tempting in the tent.

However, when I use campsites, I don't use any of my tempting camping
kit! I take my older sleeping bag and my cheaper stove and use an
Argos tent (rather than my Hilleberg.)

Or would most people pitch the tent each evening and then unpitch the
tent (or strike camp, or whatever the expression is) each morning?

That would be a real pain in the neck. When you get back to the site,
you want to be able to use the tent straightaway. Perhaps you'll want
to change out of damp clothes or to have a cup of tea out of the wind.

I do occasionally hear stories of thefts from tents and, given how
easy a target it is, I always assume that some scumbag will have a
look but I think it's still fairly rare.

Judith
Old September 10th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Steve Brassett :
I agree - I've been camping for over 20 years and have never had
anything
stolen. Surprising when you consider how easy it would be. I do
leave
valuables locked in the car though.

I have twice heard of a theft. Neither were from inside the tent.
One, last year in Norway, our neighbouring tent with 4 people inside
had their rucksacks taken from outside the tent during the night
(there was presumably no room for them inside).

The other was our mobile phone, which we'd left on a chair outside
the tent whilst we went to do our teeth just before bedtime. Again
in Norway! Funny, I think of Norway as a safe country.

Moral: don't leave anything outside the tent either when you go out, or
at night time.

I've been camping for over 10 years, averaging probably 4 weeks a year.
That can't be bad.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old September 10th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article ,
wrote

I've never used an organised campsite before, but I've recently bought
a Vango Equinox 350 and I'm proposing to go away with it for a few
days in October.

Question: if you're intending to stay on the same site for three or
four days but plan to leave the site during the day to go walking or
whatever, is it usual to just leave the tent pitched for that time?

Yes. That is the common practise.

Or would most people pitch the tent each evening and then unpitch the
tent (or strike camp, or whatever the expression is) each morning?

Not unless you are a sadist!!

Clearly one wouldn't leave any valuables in the tent, but would it be
reasonably safe to leave the tent pitched for a few days and to go
away and do something else during the day? (I'm thinking of staying
on one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites and I'll be
travelling by car.)

I'd be surprised if you had anything nicked.
It's sort of an unwritten law that campers
do not nick from campers. Most generally
tend to look out for each other.

I frequently go away during the week and leave my
gear neatly stashed inside. I leave nothing outside.
I have never had anything go missing but I have had
people return stuff I have either left or dropped
somewhere about the site.

Old September 10th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Norman Tulloch wrote:

Clearly one wouldn't leave any valuables in the tent, but would it be
reasonably safe to leave the tent pitched for a few days and to go
away and do something else during the day? (I'm thinking of staying
on one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites and I'll be
travelling by car.)

You should be OK.
However over more recent years I have started to become concerned,
mainly due to the increase in yobbish behaviour usually displayed by
youths.
This has ranged from throwing stones at the tent to pulling up guys and
name yelling.
Much does depends on the type of campsite.

Luckily most of my camping is one-night stops or wild-camping (which has
always 'felt' the safest).

John B
Old September 10th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd JohnB :
Luckily most of my camping is one-night stops or wild-camping (which has
always 'felt' the safest).

Wild camping probably felt safest because you didn't leave the tent, you
just pitched it, slept in it, packed it up and went (I guess?). A
tent in the wild would I'm sure be considered fair game to many a thief,
if it were left there during the day.

Adrian

Old September 10th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Norman Tulloch

Thanks to those who replied to my question.

The consensus seems to be that it's usually OK to leave a tent pitched
for a few days, so I guess I'll take the risk of exposing my nice new
Vango to the predations of rogues and thieves.

Norman Tulloch