New Forest Camping

Old September 11th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Nimbo

Default New Forest Camping

I've just returned from a night at the Forestry Commission site Hollands
Wood, it was terrible. I think it must be the nosiest site I've ever stayed
at.

However last week I stayed at Roundhill, another Forestry Commission site in
the New forest and that was great. Anyone know of smaller sites in the area
that are worth going to?

I don't drive so it needs to be within 90 minutes walk of a train station.

Thanks

--
Nimbo

Old September 13th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Not known to me

Hello,
Roundhills is best in the Forest as I have camped there for over 13 years
every year at least 4 times. Other New Forest sites are not really close to
a R/Way station. I agree Hollands Wood is for 'family' noise!
Best regards,
John.

--
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

Old September 13th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Wainscotting

Ocknell and Long Beech are close to each other and near Cadnam. Ocknell has
toilets but Long Beech only has water and toilet disposal.
http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cara...-longbeech.asp

Old September 13th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Nimbo

"Wainscotting" wrote in message
Ocknell and Long Beech are close to each other and near Cadnam. Ocknell

has
toilets but Long Beech only has water and toilet disposal.

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cara...-longbeech.asp

Which train station is closest?

TIA

Nimbo

Old September 13th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Not known to me wrote:

Hello,
Roundhills is best in the Forest as I have camped there for over 13 years
every year at least 4 times. Other New Forest sites are not really close to
a R/Way station. I agree Hollands Wood is for 'family' noise!
Best regards,
John.

You do need to be very careful if heavy rain is forecast.
There is a lot of concrete just under the surface at Roundhill and
drainage is not good. Even a hollow of just an inch or two can fill
leaving a tent floor under water.
You do need to take great care that you are at least on some sort of
hump however small.

John B
Old September 14th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andy Vines

"Nimbo" wrote in message
I've just returned from a night at the Forestry Commission site Hollands
Wood, it was terrible. I think it must be the nosiest site I've ever
stayed
at.

However last week I stayed at Roundhill, another Forestry Commission site
in
the New forest and that was great. Anyone know of smaller sites in the
area
that are worth going to?

I don't drive so it needs to be within 90 minutes walk of a train station.

Holland's Wood can be quite, last time I was there, we were surrounded by a
total of six other units for two nights (which is not bad for a 500 pitch
site) then it increased to around thirty for the Thursday night, weekends
always tend to be busy though.

Old September 18th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Fiona Wood

Try Ashurst - it's close to Ashurst station, which can take you to either
Southampton or Bournemouth. Some trains during the night can be intrusive,
but mostly it's all good points... Watch where you pitch too, as localised
flooding can be an issue - pick a small mound.

--
FiFi

Old September 18th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Fiona Wood wrote:

Try Ashurst - it's close to Ashurst station, which can take you to either
Southampton or Bournemouth. Some trains during the night can be intrusive,
but mostly it's all good points... Watch where you pitch too, as localised
flooding can be an issue - pick a small mound.

Not a bad site at all with quite a few 'hidden' corners and 'bushy bits'
to get some privacy behind.
The local parade of shops (with quite a good Indian restaurant/takeaway)
is very convenient, being just a short walk away. Pub's not much tho :-(

John B