Fab seal

« test | New Tent »

Old September 12th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

Default Fab seal

We have a three man tent with small porch which we bought from Millets
(or similar) and have used with success on several trips despite me
being 6 foot 6. We've just got back from 3 weeks wondering around
Europe and there was a couple of leeks in the porch this time.

We couldn't put the tent totally taught because the door zip seems to be
on the point of ripping opening (and does slightly from time to time)
and hence some water built up and dripped through.

Is fab seal the best thing for modern tents?

Can I do anything about the zip?

Europe rocks, wish we'd hurry up and be part of it properly before 1 =
1 Euro!
--
Win, save, enjoy
www.sausagefans.com/competition
Old September 14th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
chris French

In message , Stephen
writes
We have a three man tent with small porch which we bought from Millets
(or similar) and have used with success on several trips despite me
being 6 foot 6. We've just got back from 3 weeks wondering around
Europe and there was a couple of leeks in the porch this time.

We couldn't put the tent totally taught because the door zip seems to be
on the point of ripping opening (and does slightly from time to time)
and hence some water built up and dripped through.

Is fab seal the best thing for modern tents?

Depends on what you want it to do, never used it myself, but AIUI it's
really a water repellent finish rather than waterproofing. It can be
used on both synthetic and cotton /canavs materials, but IME, if the
waterproof layer on a synthetic material has deteriorated and is
leaking there is not really effective way to repair it.

Where exactly was the water dripping though? A seam, through the
material itself?

Can I do anything about the zip?

Replace it? my tent has a hook arrangement at the base of the zip to
take the load off the zip.
--
Chris French

Old September 14th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

In article , newspost-c-002
@familyfrench.co.uk says...
Depends on what you want it to do, never used it myself, but AIUI it's
really a water repellent finish rather than waterproofing. It can be
used on both synthetic and cotton /canavs materials, but IME, if the
waterproof layer on a synthetic material has deteriorated and is
leaking there is not really effective way to repair it.

Where exactly was the water dripping though? A seam, through the
material itself?

Through thhe material itself, I'm guessing it was a combination of
condensation and some precipetation...0

Can I do anything about the zip?

Replace it? my tent has a hook arrangement at the base of the zip to
take the load off the zip.

Stitched in in my case :-(
Old September 14th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

In article ,
says...
A tent or a sail maker, if you want a really strong one.

Try phoning Jeckells
www.jeckells.co.uk it's a family owned and run
business, they are incredibly helpful.

Will do, thank you