Smokeless campfire

Old September 12th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill[_2_]

Default Smokeless campfire

When I go wild camping, I prefer to make a campfire where possible. I
know its not allowed to make a campfire, but, does anyone know how to
make a smokeless campfire?

That way I (and anybody else) would be able to have a fire, without
alerting anyone to it.

I know you can use animal droppings, but what other things can be
used?

Old September 12th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan[_2_]

There's no secret.

Preparation is the key:

Dry tinder, kindling and fuel, so that the flames burn as much of the smoke
as possible.

Structure plays a large part - it need to allow as much air as possible to
the fuel and heat combination.

Some advise a teepee of kingling with tinder inside; best thing to do is do
a search on google so that you see actual pictures.

:

Old September 14th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John-news-group

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:07:43 +0100, Andrew Gill wrote:

When I go wild camping, I prefer to make a campfire where possible. I
know its not allowed to make a campfire, but, does anyone know how to
make a smokeless campfire?

That way I (and anybody else) would be able to have a fire, without
alerting anyone to it.

I know you can use animal droppings, but what other things can be
used?

Hi

You will reduce smoke if you make the fire run hot i.e. do not have an
open fire use an enclosure like dig a small trench, etc

We make a small stove that should suite see www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor

-------------------------------------
O C Outdoor
www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
--------------------------------------
Old September 14th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan[_2_]

Check out the link
http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/...recooking.html and look for
the Yukon stove - hard work but an excellent smokeless fire...

Old September 14th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

John-news-group wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:07:43 +0100, Andrew Gill wrote:

When I go wild camping, I prefer to make a campfire where possible. I
know its not allowed to make a campfire, but, does anyone know how to
make a smokeless campfire?

That way I (and anybody else) would be able to have a fire, without
alerting anyone to it.

I know you can use animal droppings, but what other things can be
used?

Hi

You will reduce smoke if you make the fire run hot i.e. do not have an
open fire use an enclosure like dig a small trench, etc

We make a small stove that should suite see www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor

-------------------------------------
O C Outdoor
www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
--------------------------------------

Thanks for that...I have already brought one of these through you.
Didnt realise it would reduce some as well
Old September 14th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan[_2_]

The fact that it creates a good updraft or intake of air. The smoke is
negligible.

"martin" wrote in message
: On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:59:13 GMT, "Tao Shan"
: wrote:
:
: Check out the link
: http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/...recooking.html and look for
: the Yukon stove - hard work but an excellent smokeless fire...
:
: a good site, but what makes a Yukon stove smokeless?
: --
: Martin

Old September 14th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Neil

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:07:43 +0100, Andrew Gill wrote:

When I go wild camping, I prefer to make a campfire where possible. I
know its not allowed to make a campfire, but, does anyone know how to
make a smokeless campfire?

That way I (and anybody else) would be able to have a fire, without
alerting anyone to it.

I know you can use animal droppings, but what other things can be
used?

In my experience, beach collected driftwood that has long dried and
lost most of its natural colour, seems to produce very little or no
smoke. Other than that, charcoal is virtually smoke free.

Neil

Old September 15th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
John-news-group

Thanks for that...I have already brought one of these through you.
Didnt realise it would reduce some as well

Hi Andrew

How are you getting on with it?

I find that most camp sites will let me use it, I take a pice of turf
up, or if I am in the car I put in on some house bricks

John

-------------------------------------
O C Outdoor
www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
--------------------------------------
Old September 23rd 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Andrew Gill

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:07:32 GMT, John-news-group
wrote:

Thanks for that...I have already brought one of these through you.
Didnt realise it would reduce some as well

Hi Andrew

How are you getting on with it?

I find that most camp sites will let me use it, I take a pice of turf
up, or if I am in the car I put in on some house bricks

John

O C Outdoor
www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor

Well, I don't camp at campsites. I prefer to camp wherever I want
(that is why I want a smokeless fire - as not to alert anyone)