Vauxhall cavalier

Old October 12th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Vauxhall cavalier

I am planning to tow my 4 berth Sprite alpine with my 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier
1.7TD will this be a good towcar or will towing be too much for the car,
i've only towed with landrovers before & don't want to wear my car out too
quick

--
Steve
www.geocities.com/norfolk_triker

Old October 12th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Allan

In article , "Steve"
wrote:

I am planning to tow my 4 berth Sprite alpine with my 1993 Vauxhall
Cavalier
1.7TD will this be a good towcar or will towing be too much for the car,
i've only towed with landrovers before & don't want to wear my car out too
quick

---------

I used to tow with a 1992 Cavalier 2000 GLS Auto. From my own experience
they had an inherent problem with their suspension that made them unsuitable
for towing at the higher speeds. There was no problem with the engine and
the diesel should be even better in that respect but the suspension might be
the same as the petrol models.

--
John Allan

Old October 12th 03, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Pace

I used to tow with a 1.7 Cav Diesel ( Not Turbo) overheated a lot and could
not pull the skin off a rice pudding terrible thing ( with a van on fine
without it ). Turbo should be better though, I would have thought. I have
1.7 Mondeo TD now superb towcar.

--
Tim Pace
" A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves

Old October 12th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

As long as you balance the van before setting off and make sure that you do not
exceed the max noseweight recommendations for your car, you should have no
problems. I had a friend who towed a four-wheel Lunar Delta with a 1600 FWD
Cavalier (petrol) with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers, Peter.

"John Allan" wrote in message
. ..
: In article , "Steve"
:
: ---------
:
: I used to tow with a 1992 Cavalier 2000 GLS Auto. From my own experience
: they had an inherent problem with their suspension that made them unsuitable
: for towing at the higher speeds. There was no problem with the engine and
: the diesel should be even better in that respect but the suspension might be
: the same as the petrol models.
:
:
: --
: John Allan
:
:
:
:
:

Old October 13th 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

hi
Ten years ago I used to tow a Sprite Alpine C four berth with a Cavalier
1.7td.......It's a very adequate tow car.......But don't expect to win any
traffic light Grand Prix starts.......I found I needed to pre rev the
engine to be able to negotiate some busy roundabouts and in order to "not "
cut up cars coming from the right.
Mick

Old October 13th 03, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Steve" wrote in message
I am planning to tow my 4 berth Sprite alpine with my 1993 Vauxhall

Cavalier
1.7TD will this be a good towcar or will towing be too much for the car,
i've only towed with landrovers before & don't want to wear my car out too
quick

Steve,

I tow my Avondale 380/2 with a 1995 2 litre Cavalier. No problems
whatsoever. We have been down to the South of France several times. We do a
steady 60mph on the autoroutes and if I do not watch it the speed will
easily creep up well over 70. When we came back from France last Thursday
there were about 100 bottles of the essentials of life on the back seats as
well, although this extra weight was only added about 35 miles south of
Cherbourg ;-)

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old October 13th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
orion

I tow an 1150 kg van with a Discovery 2.5Tdi. Also have Vectra 2.2 Tdi.

Vectra can run hot on long uphill stretches of road.

Stability wise - no comparison, Disco has the weight.

Personally I suspect you would struggle in the power department with a 1.7
Tdi

Orion

Old October 21st 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jools

Steve,

We have a 1993 Isusu engined 1.7TD Cav.

The turbo does 'kick' in very late but we towed our 4 berth sprite all over
Europe last year and it was fabulous on fuel.

The key is to load the van correctly..

Whoops, i am told by he hubby that we changed the radiator temperature
thermostat, . There are 2 for this model Cav and we opted for the one that
is lower rated?? so as if the car gotten hot, the fan would kick in much
earlier...

hope this helps

Jools

Old October 22nd 03, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Sorry to nit pick Jools but the fan will kick in when it's thermal switch tells
it to and is not dependant on the thermostat setting. Some cars have fans that
are controlled by the air-conditioning and the ECU and are of two-speed type. I
am about to fit one to my car as I do not trust the viscous coupling device on
mine at the present. I should save a bit more horsepower into the bargain. It
sounds as if your turbo has too large an exhaust turbine. It would kick in
earlier if it had a smaller exhaust turbine as it would take less amount of
exhaust gas to spin it up thus less turbo lag.

Cheers, Peter.

"Jools" wrote in message
: Steve,
:
: We have a 1993 Isusu engined 1.7TD Cav.
:
: The turbo does 'kick' in very late but we towed our 4 berth sprite all over
: Europe last year and it was fabulous on fuel.
:
: The key is to load the van correctly..
:
: Whoops, i am told by he hubby that we changed the radiator temperature
: thermostat, . There are 2 for this model Cav and we opted for the one that
: is lower rated?? so as if the car gotten hot, the fan would kick in much
: earlier...
:
: hope this helps
:
: Jools
: ...

Old October 22nd 03, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ray

In article , Peter Milnes peter.k.l
writes
Sorry to nit pick Jools but the fan will kick in when it's thermal switch tells
it to and is not dependant on the thermostat setting.

Sorry to nit pick your nit picking but :
A thermal switch is a thermostat and as the one in question is fitted in
the rad the original poster was correct.

Some cars have fans that
are controlled by the air-conditioning and the ECU and are of two-speed type.

But on the cavalier they are controlled by thermostat in the radiator.

am about to fit one to my car as I do not trust the viscous coupling device on
mine at the present. I should save a bit more horsepower into the bargain. It
sounds as if your turbo has too large an exhaust turbine. It would kick in
earlier if it had a smaller exhaust turbine as it would take less amount of
exhaust gas to spin it up thus less turbo lag.

Cheers, Peter.

"Jools" wrote in message
: Steve,
: