You guys/gals will know

Old September 15th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eddy

Default You guys/gals will know

OK people, I need your help, my friends and I are looking to camp with day
sacks, we have tent/food/water etc sorted, all we need now is a small high
powered stove/cooker thing, it will only need to heat one pot, it needs to
be small, light with self contained fuel/gas or whatever, also it has not to
break the bank to buy and run.

I know this is a lot to ask but there has to be something!.

Thanks

Eddy
I want my days of a 65liter sack gone!

Old September 15th 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eddy

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote
OK people, I need your help, my friends and I are looking to camp with
day
sacks, we have tent/food/water etc sorted, all we need now is a small
high
powered stove/cooker thing, it will only need to heat one pot, it needs
be small, light with self contained fuel/gas or whatever, also it has not
break the bank to buy and run.

I know this is a lot to ask but there has to be something!.
Thanks
Eddy
I want my days of a 65liter sack gone!

for backpacking I use a small burner head screwed onto
an Epi Gas type cannister. The two can be sepperated
[Self Seal Cannister] for reasy packing. The cannister
seems to last me quite a while but it depends on how
you cook.

We actually use one of these at the moment, but we are trying to find an all
in one type device that will slip down the side of a sack, or on the top of
one.

As a standby I use Hexamine Tablets in a small tin
burner. [Standby cause I hate cleaning the cooking
pot.]

We are trying something like this this weekend, but I am dubious about the
amount of heat and cook time they will give.

I also have an Optimus Hunter petrol stove but I only
use that rarely.

Never used one but I would be a bit concerned about carrying petrol in a
sack.

Thanks

Eddy

Old September 15th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article , wrote

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

wrote
[...]

I have used them for more years than I care to mention
and can assure you that they do the job nicely. However
there is a technique to using them efficiently. The 'stove'
[collapsible tin in which the blocks will fit] can be used
in two ways - jagged teath up - or down the latter is best.

If you dig a small hole big enough to drop the whole affair
into so that the cooking pot etc is at surface level then
you get best effect and the pot is less likely to be knocked
over/fall off. The heat is good and two squares will do a pint
of water with enough left to do some soup/stew etc.

Work on the basis of one pack per day per person and you will
not go wrong. They degrade [even in the waxed container] if you
let them get soaked/wet but the will still function, just splutter
a bit.

I also have an Optimus Hunter petrol stove but I only
use that rarely.

Never used one but I would be a bit concerned about carrying petrol in a
sack.

Precisely.

Thanks

Eddy

Old September 15th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

Trianga

Old September 16th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Simon Barr

In article , JK wrote:
Trianga

ITYM Trangia

--
simon at sbarr dot demon dot co dot uk
Simon Barr.
Old September 16th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eddy

"JK" wrote in message
Trianga

Too big, I need somethig smaller than a trianga.

Thanks

Eddy

Old September 16th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Eddy

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

wrote
[...]

Sounds good!.

Eddy

Old September 16th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

Well it has to be a hexi stove... Size of pack of cigarettes including fuel
tablets.

Old September 20th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Treefrog

"Eddy" wrote in message
OK people, I need your help, my friends and I are looking to camp with day
sacks, we have tent/food/water etc sorted, all we need now is a small high
powered stove/cooker thing, it will only need to heat one pot, it needs to
be small, light with self contained fuel/gas or whatever, also it has not

break the bank to buy and run.

I know this is a lot to ask but there has to be something!.

MSR - Pocket Rocket....... Mines been to the Alps (Mt Buet), and up nearly
every big hill/mountain in the lakes. Never failed, very light and has a
very controllable flame (so safe to use in your tent*)
It uses the screw on gas canister but the smallest available is about the
diameter of a coffee mug and 1.5" high... The medium size canister (lasts
for about 3-4 days ***IN SUMMER***), the pocket rocket (with plastic case),
a lighter and head torce all fit easily into the side pockets of both my
sacs (25L Vango Air canyon and a big green 80L Gelert thing).

The pocket rocket is about 30ish IIRC. Well worth it.

Hope that helps,

Nathan

* subject to a reasonable dose of common sense ;o)