Think twice about using SpeedFerries

Old September 16th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
In search of good service

Default Think twice about using SpeedFerries

I was thrilled to hear from a friend that SpeedFerries was offering
such good prices. However, our experience is very disappointing and
underlines the fact that with some budget carriers you DON'T get what
you pay for.

We booked months in advance for a crossing between Dover and Calais.
Just by chance I checked the SpeedFerries web site the night before
crossing and found they had taken their only ferry out of service.
After many attempts I finally got through to them and was told that we
couldn't travel with them. They launched straight into their terms and
conditions saying they could cancel any sailing without notice. NOT A
HINT OF AN APOLOGY! When I asked why they hadn't bothered to call and
email they said they had done both. The unhelpful lad I spoke to said
he had sent all the emails manually himself so I must be wrong. (We
had no problems with our email and have BT call minder, a 24 hour
answering machine. But nothing came from SpeedFerries.) They said that
Sea France would take us across for a special price of £47, but Sea
France when asked said the price was £75 (one way).

We finally travelled with Norfolk line for £94 return. Completely 100%
hassle free and they have at least 3 ferries. When we checked in, the
SpeedFerries check-ins were closed and totally unattended. That would
have been a great start to our holiday at 7am!

We will have to wait and see if they refund the fare paid.

My biggest worry is the attitude and systems in place. Why was their
only vessel taken out of service in an unplanned manner? Why could
they not reliably contact their customers? Why was there no-one at
check in to catch those who would obviously slip through the net? If
they manage safety in the way they manage bookings and customer
relationships, then I would have significant worries about their
safety.

Finally, we love budget travel and use Ryan Air whenever we can. There
will be problems. But it is the way problems are dealt with that
count. Speed Ferries are terrible at this. My advice… Don't risk it
with SpeedFerries. For the extra £30 use a decent company.
Old September 16th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

spamspamspamspamspamspam!
Wonderful SPAAAAM!
I've been waiting months for the cartels to begin a fightback. hahaha!
We travelled speedferries in July/Aug and they were perfect.

Liz

Old September 17th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
In search of good service

Liz,

Very nice that you are sold on them. Good for you! I was not. This is
not SPAM. This is my personal opinion. Bad service deserves bad press.
I don't like the prices or attitudes of P&O, SeaFrance etc. But for
us, the extra £30 for Norfolk Line is worth the peace of mind. Their
ships and services are more basic than the major carriers, but it
suited our family well. If the other carriers offered good service for
£94 return, then we would have real choice and not have to take the
risk with SpeedFerries.

It's that old Ford survey thing. If someone buys a car and has no
problems, they are 40% likely to buy from Ford again. If they have
problems and they are dealt with badly, they are 0% likely to buy
again. If they have problems and are dealt with well, they are 80%
likely to buy again. Problems are not bad, but Speedferries didn't
even come close to acceptible behaviour.

(If you are still unconvinced, send me an email with your phone number
and we can chat.)

Martin

Old September 17th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
FF

On 17 Sep 2004 03:33:36 -0700, (In search of good
service) wrote:

Liz,

Very nice that you are sold on them. Good for you! I was not. This is
not SPAM. This is my personal opinion. Bad service deserves bad press.

Well, I'm glad you came back and explained, as several of us were sure
you were a spammer.

I don't like the prices or attitudes of P&O, SeaFrance etc. But for
us, the extra £30 for Norfolk Line is worth the peace of mind. Their
ships and services are more basic than the major carriers, but it
suited our family well. If the other carriers offered good service for
£94 return, then we would have real choice and not have to take the
risk with SpeedFerries.

I've had a good Google and the complaints don't seem to be coming in
thick and fast, you know. And there's nothing on ukcampsite.co.uk
I think you must just have been unlucky.

I've been crossing the channel for nigh on 30 years and the standard
now is way higher than it was in the days of good old state-owned
Sealink.

It's that old Ford survey thing. If someone buys a car and has no
problems, they are 40% likely to buy from Ford again. If they have
problems and they are dealt with badly, they are 0% likely to buy
again. If they have problems and are dealt with well, they are 80%
likely to buy again. Problems are not bad, but Speedferries didn't
even come close to acceptible behaviour.

You're right. There is a lot in how companies handle problems.

(If you are still unconvinced, send me an email with your phone number
and we can chat.)

Umm... my mother told me not to talk to strange men:-)
Seriously, I've got nothing to say that can't be said here.

Liz

Martin