Camping in Ireland

Old September 26th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Nimbo

Default Camping in Ireland

OK, I'm Irish but have never camped at home (living in London so I have
camped in loads of places in England). Where are the great places to camp?
I'm from Derry, so I know all the places in Donegal, but where else is good?

TIA

--
Nimbo

Old September 26th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_5_]

"Nimbo" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, I'm Irish but have never camped at home (living in London so I have
camped in loads of places in England). Where are the great places to
camp?
I'm from Derry, so I know all the places in Donegal, but where else is
good?

There are lots of good spots on the coast around Galway where you can find a
quiet pitch. The key here is to find a quiet spot, the "Discovery Series"
of 1:50,000 which are sold in most tourist info shops will be of help. The
usual rules of "pack it in, pack it out" apply, that way others will be able
to follow. A lot of the coastal land appears to be privately owned and
subsequently, access to good camp sites near the sea is limited. If you can
get yourself a few of the maps, you'll spot the potential sites. There must
be a shed-load of potential sites between Belmullet and the Beara Peninsula
and I've camped a few of them. Can't offer any advice on the East coast
though as apart from Wicklow, it's not my cup of tea.

If you are looking for official sites, then then google will fill in the
blanks.

hth.

Dave.

Old September 26th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_5_]

--o--
The maps I was referring to are available from
http://www.mapmart.co.uk/pages/frame....htm~mainFrame There used
to be a decent map shop on the road between Leicester Sq and Covent Garden,
sorry, I can't remember the details as I left London 13 years ago.

Old September 26th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
JohnB

Dave wrote:

--o--
The maps I was referring to are available from
http://www.mapmart.co.uk/pages/frame....htm~mainFrame There used
to be a decent map shop on the road between Leicester Sq and Covent Garden,
sorry, I can't remember the details as I left London 13 years ago.

Its an excellent shop and still there.
If they don't have a particular map it probably doesn't exist.

Stanfords
12-14 Long Acre
Covent Garden
London WC2E 9LP
T: 020 7836 1321

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

They also have shops in Bristol and Manchester.
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

John B
Old September 26th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Phil Cook

There is also this lot http://www.themapshop.co.uk/

Old September 27th 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
JK[_5_]

If you're from Derry,,HI.... you could try the Costa de Killea or the
Carrigans gold coast !!!!!
Hi from home

JK

Old September 27th 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
James Hurrell

"Nimbo" wrote in message
. uk...
OK, I'm Irish but have never camped at home (living in London so I have
camped in loads of places in England). Where are the great places to
camp?
I'm from Derry, so I know all the places in Donegal, but where else is
good?

In June I had a great (if slightly windy) week in Co. Cork at an official
site called "Eagle Point Camping" at Ballylickey close to Bantry.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/re...asp?revid=4829

The site is right on the coast - our pitch was twenty feet from the sea!
Think it was about ?20/night with first class facilities. Would definitely
return.

Old September 29th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Nimbo :
OK, I'm Irish but have never camped at home (living in London so I have
camped in loads of places in England). Where are the great places to camp?
I'm from Derry, so I know all the places in Donegal, but where else is good?

West Cork. If you go to Glengarriff, see if Mr. O'Shea is still running his
campsite. It's 8 years since we were last there, but he had a great site
on the road out onto the Beara peninsula.

By the way, the Beara peninsula is much better than the ring of Kerry. It's
wilder and less touristy, but offers better (IMHO) scenery.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old October 1st 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
James Hurrell

By the way, the Beara peninsula is much better than the ring of Kerry.
It's
wilder and less touristy, but offers better (IMHO) scenery.

I'd agree there Adrian. We had a fantastic time exploring the
Beara...especially trying out the cable car to Dursey Island... now that was
rickety! We just seemed to get stuck behind some coach or other in Kerry -
although it was still stunning scenery.

Old October 2nd 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Dave[_5_]

--o--
I'd agree there Adrian. We had a fantastic time exploring the
Beara...especially trying out the cable car to Dursey Island... now that
was rickety! We just seemed to get stuck behind some coach or other in
Kerry - although it was still stunning scenery.

James,
Yes, I saw the cable car but had to leave on the day it was operating. What
was the island like? I saw *lots* of cars parked on the road where the
cable car arrives on the island but didn't see that many buildings on the
map which could account for the number of cars that were parked there.

Dave.