WTB: New Sleeping Bag

Old October 1st 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony B

Default WTB: New Sleeping Bag

I'm after a new sleeping bag, initially for use in November in
Northumberland and next year in the Alps (mid-summer but my mate's 3-season
Coleman bag saw him sneaking into a hotel last year!!).

Small pack size is important to me as it will be fastened onto the back of a
motorbike, I want a very warm bag too for obvious reasons... maybe one day
I'll get to the Winter Rally where you have to dig out snow in order to
pitch...

I think I need a down bag, have kind of resigned myself to spending a lot of
money but I don't want to waste it... I was looking at the Dreamcatcher bags
from Mountain Equipment, in particular the 300 but it only has a zero degree
rating, should I be looking at a warmer bag?

I'll be sleeping on a therm-a-rest inside my el-cheapo small tent.

Any advice on a decent sleeping bag would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony B

Old October 1st 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tao Shan[_2_]

Default New Sleeping Bag

:
[...]
I like Ajungilak... Choose from their range.

Old October 1st 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Tony B :
I'm after a new sleeping bag, initially for use in November in
Northumberland and next year in the Alps (mid-summer but my mate's 3-season
Coleman bag saw him sneaking into a hotel last year!!).

He's a bit nesh is he, your mate? Or was he trying to camp up the top
of the Eiger or something?

We've had many a camping holiday in Switzerland. In summer, take a lightish
sleeping bag. It can get extremely hot in the alpine valleys. But take
something to throw over the top too, if it is cold. I remember some very
cold nights in the Engadine in late September, but then that is quite high
up at around 1700 metres.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw [email protected]
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old October 2nd 04, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
Tony B[_2_]

We were in Bardoneccia at the foot of Mt Somellier, at around 2000m I
believe. Somellier is just a shade over 3000m, it was a bit nippy to be
honest...

Old October 2nd 04, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
KGB

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 19:22:31 +0100, "Tony B"
wrote:

I'm after a new sleeping bag, initially for use in November in
Northumberland and next year in the Alps (mid-summer but my mate's 3-season
Coleman bag saw him sneaking into a hotel last year!!).

Hi

A 3 season bag and wear thermals - unless you have a woman with you,
in which case dispense with the thermals!!!! 8^)

Regards
KGB

Old October 6th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.camping
Stuart

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

wrote

[...]

Before you slap out a load of dosh, consider trying to get
a bag that is not currently in vougue - say a last years
model etc. I picked up a Vango Escape 350 [XL - 90cm wide]
for 25-50 three months ago. Trouble is it is too damn warm
and comfy. I have not managed to use it fully zipped up yet!!!

Though a 350 it is a reasonable size for a bike.

Although I now have a whole family that go camping (wife + 3 kids) I still
have my Blacks of Greenock mummy shaped bag filled with ducks down. I got it
when I was 11 years old and I am now 43 and still use it. It's the smallest
bag I've ever had and still does the job when I camp on my own in Scotland
in the worst weather. I don't know if it is still made, but it sits on the
back of my bike before any modern bag.

Old October 7th 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.camping
kqr

In article , wrote

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

wrote

[...]

The troble is [with everything today]industry are forever trying
to entice more sales etc. Add gimmicks, so called 'added features'
under the guise of improvment and the average punter hasn't a clue
half the time so ends up spending a load of dosh for something that
may very well be what it says but is far too over the top for their
needs. Often, stuff that has been about for a while and has not been
affected by the markets preoccupation with ersatz inmprovments, is
the best choice.

I have a Military Bag which I have used for years. Tough reliable
and hard wearing but it's too damn heavy/bulky even when compressed.
I wanted another bag with as near to the same features but half the
size/bulk but trying to find one the right length/width and 'comfy
factor' was just too damn difficult. I spent ages and even went to
the bother of trying some out in the shop! I just about gave up when
I spotted a possibility in the Garden Center in Goathland. Theres a
bloke there who has access to 'old stock / last years fad' and sells
off cheap [ish] Labeled as XL I shelled out the 25 on the basis that
if it were no good I could stand the loss. However he said he'd accept
a return deal.

Lucky me - it was exactly right in size and well comfy. I always did
tend to look for 'old stock' mainly for a better price but now my
conviction is renewed.

If yer old bag does the job - then there is no need to change.